Author Topic: Is CRO as a forum finished.  (Read 35989 times)

littlechilie

Re: Is CRO as a forum finished.
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2018, 10:56 AM »
Someone new comes in with lots of ideas but may have underestimated the scale of the challenge.  Or even know what they are supposed to be aiming for. 

I think that is unlikely.  If you look at the portfolio of sites that our new owner runs, you will see that he has a wide range of interests and considerable experience in this field.

** Phil.

Sounds like a good solid post Phil, you have obviously done your homework.. Also good news for the forum.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2018, 09:59 AM »
Did a quick count through the forum. About 10 members on and close to 700 guests. Just sayin'.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2018, 10:43 AM »
Whatever the head count is here, it is ALWAYS double or more of the other site.
And after five years or so since the split, that makes me smile.  :)
It also tells me that it is not a coincidence and has nothing to do with this forum or its members but more to do with life in general and things going on outside of the forums.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2018, 11:01 AM »
I was more alluding to the general lack of input but apparent abundance of leaching evident here.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2018, 01:29 PM »
Did a quick count through the forum. About 10 members on and close to 700 guests. Just sayin'.

Just saying what? Aren't most of those 700 likely to be some kind of system robot, rather than real individuals?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2018, 07:28 PM »
I was more alluding to the general lack of input but apparent abundance of leaching evident here.

It's only on replying to this message that I finally realised that you wrote "leaching" and not "teaching".  But if there is an abundance of leeching (as opposed to leaching or teaching), then I for one regard that as a good thing, because it suggests that the content on this site is regarded as authoritative and/or valuable.

** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2018, 09:14 PM »
Yes Phil, sorry. Spell auto correct on my tablet combined with no spectacles. Oops. Yes, I did mean leeching.  Leeching isn't a bad thing necessarily as, and for the reason, you suggest

The guest count may be robots I suppose, maybe not. I hadn't considered it.

I am just saying George, the Home Page banner says the site has thousands of like-minded members creating curry with passion. Over the last couple of months posts are from maybe a dozen to 20. Posts regarding cooking curry from maybe half. Just sayin, the activity on the board by the thousands of like-minded members is a bit sluggish and suggestive of not a lot of curry cooking passion.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2018, 10:06 PM »
I am just saying George, the Home Page banner says the site has thousands of like-minded members creating curry with passion. Over the last couple of months posts are from maybe a dozen to 20. Posts regarding cooking curry from maybe half. Just sayin, the activity on the board by the thousands of like-minded members is a bit sluggish and suggestive of not a lot of curry cooking passion.

I can only speak for myself, but there is only so far you can take BIR, and regurgitating the same old theories about bases and mixes etc loses it's appeal once you have reached a level of cooking you are happy with (whatever that level may be).

I appreciate, however, that there are members who like to discuss the minute details of every aspect of BIR, and I quite enjoy reading some of the musings.

In my opinion, the forum should be about helping people, who are searching for that takeaway taste, to discover the recipes/methods in a friendly, welcoming and non-judgemental way - encouraging, rather than mocking, making condescending comments, or simply ignoring.

While I have enjoyed your recently renewed passion, Livo; just because some of us don't post much, doesn't mean we are not passionate about our curries.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2018, 10:08 PM »
Yes Phil, sorry. Spell auto correct on my tablet combined with no spectacles. Oops. Yes, I did mean leeching.  Leeching isn't a bad thing necessarily as, and for the reason, you suggest

The guest count may be robots I suppose, maybe not. I hadn't considered it.

I've said before livo, this forum  could do with more authentic restaurant or t/a recipes ,however good or bad, coupled with some input from Bengali, Pakistani, Punjabi , Chinese, Thai professional chefs rather than home cooks. I know quite a few restaurant owners (never met any of the chefs), so could probably put a bit more effort into it myself if I can get the time to do it

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2018, 10:33 PM »
I get that Garp. Point taken and understood.  This is just a discussion on this thread as it's titled in relation to the liveliness of the forum.  I'm not trying to coerce people into needless posting and there isn't always the time..  This is just a bit of naval-gazing and a comment.  Over the last couple of days I've been scouring through the back pages and reading old threads. There is so much great information here. Tricky and time consuming to find but worth the effort.

Sadly though, there are several recurring themes going way back. One that I have found, in several instances now, is how a thread simply ends with a question from a less experienced member requesting further assistance on a recipe or technique. Looking at their profile then shows the disappearance of that member's activity. Another is the sometimes aggressive tone and condescending approach taken by some and the counter of that from helpful members who obviously feel that they almost have to be apologetic for the prior.

I'm am frequently surprised by the number of long-standing members with no, or next to no, posts at all, and then there is the whole civil war episode that took place just before I joined up and as alluded to by DalPuri just now. Reading posts from that era is astonishing at times.

I'm not asking for anything. Just commenting on the topic. It is the nature of the beast, the internet forum.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 12:38 AM by livo »

©2024 Curry Recipes