Author Topic: Indian supermarket in Maidstone?  (Read 1623 times)

Offline JonG

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Indian supermarket in Maidstone?
« on: December 10, 2017, 10:09 AM »
Hi all, is anyone up to date with where I might be able to buy spices and Indian cooking utensils in the Maidstone area of Kent? I guess I need an Indian supermarket but it doesn't seem to be a very ethnic area so perhaps I'm out of luck?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Indian supermarket in Maidstone?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 12:03 PM »
Ashford is by far your best bet, with a high Nepalese (ex-Gurkha) population and several excellent Nepalese shops.  Otherwise Tunbridge Wells has one good Indian store.

** Phil (ex-TN12 9SZ & TN4 8JQ).

Offline JonG

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 05:51 PM »
Thanks Phil. Without a car, ashford or tunbridge might as well be Swansea. Well, I'm exaggerating and of course there are buses and trains but it all becomes difficult and time consuming so I'd better give spices of India or that other online one some more money. I look forward to the day I can do such shopping on my doorstep though,

Thanks for trying to help.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 12:34 AM »
OK, sorry if Ashford and Tunbridge Wells are too remote.  When I live in Chainhurst (TN12 9SZ), I regularly took the train to Ashford for my curry supplies as the train was faster than the car; the journey times are not dissimilar from Maidstone East (circa 30 minutes), so it might be worth a try.  There is also a good Gurkha restaurant there, which makes the trip very worthwhile !
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 04:38 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

©2024 Curry Recipes