Author Topic: Alternative to tandoori oven /tava  (Read 4911 times)

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Alternative to tandoori oven /tava
« on: December 28, 2017, 08:24 PM »
Don't think I've seen this on the forum, certainly worth a try, I particularly like the way the pressure cooker is heated prior to the dough being adhered to the side then turned upside down thus creating a tandoor effect, before repeating the process on a new section, love the ability to do multiple breads at once. Hope you find it useful.

https://youtu.be/BKfPG6RFXLM

Regards Pap rika.

littlechilie

Re: Alternative to tandoori oven /tava
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 10:19 PM »
Hi Paprika, yer this is an old one I believe a couple of vids on YouTube. Personally I would avoid this at all cost and file it under stupid video of the year.
Potentially handle falling off, severe burns to yourself or another person are just a few of the issues here.
I

Offline JonG

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 08:44 PM »
Wow, what a list of imaginary "problems". Extraordinary comments there littlechilii.

Why would the handle suddenly fall off?  Why is the gas going to go out, and if it did, why would it not be noticeable- it's hardly invisible?  And "gas fumes" - do you  know gas burns cleanly and does not produce fumes unless there is inadequate ventilation- basically impossible on a hob and very noticeable anyway as the flame would be orange.

To dismiss this idea as "stupid video of the year" seems remarkably negative.

littlechilie

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 11:34 PM »
Wow, what a list of imaginary "problems". Extraordinary comments there littlechilii.

Why would the handle suddenly fall off?  Why is the gas going to go out, and if it did, why would it not be noticeable- it's hardly invisible?  And "gas fumes" - do you  know gas burns cleanly and does not produce fumes unless there is inadequate ventilation- basically impossible on a hob and very noticeable anyway as the flame would be orange.

To dismiss this idea as "stupid video of the year" seems remarkably negative.

Hi JonG,

Thanks for following up on my input, however you seem to of missed my point. Handle or pot are not produced to be used in this way. The possibility of gas going out is very real in any kitchen, especially when airflow is required and restricted.
Standing above the pot working would prevent view of the flame, we can only see it from camera angle. Build up of gas in chamber and any spark would create a small bomb and giving I do not live alone it

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 07:48 PM »
The best thing about the video would probably be her pyjamas! ;D

Much more interesting is watching Indias most famous celebrity chef,
Sanjeev Kapoors take on it, created circa 1999. which predates anything on youtube.
He demos Roti, Naan and Paratha with recipes and a makeshift upturned pan
to simulate the Tandoor.

https://youtu.be/xWFRYCVVKho

I used to have good success using a big old upturned wok
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=12677.msg103062#msg103062
then changed to a heavy gauge Tawa, eventually moving on to the real thing, commercial Tandoor at home.

As for risk assessment, normal rules apply when cooking and playing with fire! ;) :D

cheers ChewyTikka
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 12:10 PM by chewytikka »

littlechilie

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 12:28 AM »
Haha, good find Chewy  8) yer I would agree fire can be a risky business.
I m a little more cautious after setting a pan of garlic and oil alight early this year. The flames reached the ceiling after me forgetting it was on the gas.
It

©2024 Curry Recipes