Author Topic: How do they make huge naan breads?  (Read 3241 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
How do they make huge naan breads?
« on: January 03, 2018, 09:07 PM »
Some BIRs produce naan breads which must be at least 6 times the normal size.

See here: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g187069-d796464-r116334103-Akbar_s-Manchester_Greater_Manchester_England.html

Do they somehow manage to squeeze them into a tandoor oven are are they cooked flat in some kind of large oven?

Any ideas?

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: How do they make huge naan breads?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 09:22 PM »
Some BIRs produce naan breads which must be at least 6 times the normal size.

See here: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g187069-d796464-r116334103-Akbar_s-Manchester_Greater_Manchester_England.html

Do they somehow manage to squeeze them into a tandoor oven are are they cooked flat in some kind of large oven?

Any ideas?

Hi George, they look about the size of a standard nan here in Glasgow. About 12 -15inch at most , folded in half and shoved in a bag for takeaway. Would go in a large tandoor no problem.
I've only ever seen smaller when its been cut up for buffets or part of a lunchtime or voucher deal. That said , there's always loads going to waste on tables.

Regards

ELW

Regards

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 06:59 AM »
The huge naans are cooked in large steel lined tandoors which have a top opening getting on for 30 inches wide.
They are straight sided.
The naans themselves are rolled and placed on a gaddi that is more akin to a bed pillow.
Mick

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 02:08 PM »
The huge naans are cooked in large steel lined tandoors which have a top opening getting on for 30 inches wide.
They are straight sided.
The naans themselves are rolled and placed on a gaddi that is more akin to a bed pillow.
Mick

Many thanks. I've now searched youtube for 'big naan' and it brings up some interesting results, including the following video taken at an up market restaurant in India. The naan bread bit starts at about 3 mins 45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3SLnzfc_S0

As they say, it takes a lot of skill to man-handle such a large item into a scorching hot tandoor,

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 05:49 PM »
This is what I have seen in a :Balti: house. I've no longer got other photos but you can see the straight sides and wide opening of the large naan tandoor on the right. there is about 2 inches of insulation then the inner steel lining.

©2024 Curry Recipes