Author Topic: Group testing.  (Read 38475 times)

littlechilie

Re: Group testing.
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2018, 02:48 PM »
Err...I followed the recipe exactly to spec. Reading back I mentioned pul biber, this is what I normally use, for this recipe I used paprika

Myself included, again seems someone is stirring the forum up for there own entertainment.. on the second day I made a clear statement I made a vindaloo with adjustments.. only after following the task to spec, base, mix powder, chicken and methods..

Unfortunately we will see if members are willing to contribute ongoing, or only interested when there recipes pop up..

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2018, 03:10 PM »
Followed the recipe as close as poss with Dips mix but an unknown base I had left. It made a nice curry but I actually think the frying off of g and g, spices, pur
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 11:59 AM by Edwin Catflap »

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2018, 09:49 AM »
...I enjoyed trying something I hadn't done before and had FUN

Nice-looking curry, EC. And enjoyment and fun? You got it in one! :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2018, 08:56 PM »
Good to see other reports coming in on the group test.  Good looking curries there from Fried, Naga and EC.  I revisted my post the next day having had the curry for lunch but have not had time to post.  Maybe I was a bit harsh with a 6 rating.  The flavours certainly had developed or I was more appreciative of them the day after cooking.  To give this a fair crack I proceeded to cook this again for three people just to get their opinion and take on the finished dish.  Using the recipe described, but varying the chili content as each had a heat preference, all were impressed with the end result.  As good as the TA were the comments made.  I am sure,they would have been even more impressed had I used blended plum tomatoes and less mixed spice  :)  Not scientific and with no firm conclusions but good fun nevertheless and it got people cooking and talking about cooking.  And a few people even to got to eat ! I learnt from the experience and am looking forward to the next dish.  Here's a pic of two of the dips madras cooked the other weekend.

As Phil chose the next dish, maybe he'll be prepared to review the recipe and highlight any areas which are down to interpretation and suggest a standardised approach.  We already know different bases will be used.  And I will definitely struggle to acquire any Chalice flavoured oil.  The nearest i'll get will be oil from my pre-cooked Viceroy chicken.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2018, 01:08 PM »
I see your pan-rattling skills haven't left you, CH. Looks scrumptious!

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2018, 01:52 PM »
Get the chips on lads, I'm on my way over .  ;D ;D :-* :-*

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2018, 06:31 PM »
Quality looking madras(s) there CH

littlechilie

« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2018, 02:06 PM »
Just to conclude, thanks to all who contributed to the first group test. Looking forward to see what Phil has to offer us all..

CH your curry

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2018, 04:02 PM »
Just to conclude, thanks to all who contributed to the first group test. Looking forward to see what Phil has to offer us all..

Right, well, here we go.  As proposed last month, and as agreed by LC as initiator of this revived interest in group tests, I would like us this month to group=test Bob's ("976bar's") Chicken Bhuna   (Bob's recipe for individuals, not his bulk-catering version).  Note that Bob's recipe requires Chalice Hot Curry Oil , which was available from some branches of Aldi at the time Bob wrote and which may also be available from some branches of Asda, together with Taz's base, modified by replacing 100ml of normal oil by "a spiced oil" (it is not entirely clear from Bob's write-up whether this "spiced oil" was the hot curry oil previously mentioned or something else.  As far as I can see (at least, at first sight), the recipe does not call for anything else out of the ordinary, and the method of pre-cooking the chicken is left to the reader.

So, I would like to encourage all participants to follow Bob's instructions to the letter, at least on a first pass; if, on reflection, a group tester then decides to modify the recipe, and if the results appear even better, then by all means post the modified version as well.  I will attempt to summarise the results on 1st March (D.v. and insha'Allah).

P.S.  Volunteer now sought to lead the March group-test.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 07:25 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2018, 08:03 PM »
Sorry Phil, no way I'm making another base, no room in the freezer.

©2024 Curry Recipes