Author Topic: Group testing.  (Read 38563 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Group testing.
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2018, 08:07 PM »
Sorry Phil, no way I'm making another base, no room in the freezer.
Well, there's nothing to stop you using whatever base you have to hand, Fried -- this is, after all, a forum, not a dictatorship !  Although I personally recommend sticking to Bob's recipe, others may well be interested to learn what results you achieve using a variant thereof.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 02:41 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

littlechilie

« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2018, 08:37 PM »
Ok thanks Phil, I will give this a bash but unfortunately won

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2018, 09:16 AM »
I get the group test thing,
I have no issues with using your own base/spice mix combo, but what I don't get is not sticking to the process and techniques of the recipe.
How you cook a curry is one of the most important parts in the curry jigsaw, and not following the process of the recipe will result in a greatly different curry, more so than using a different mix powder etc

Also shouldnt the next group test be in a new post, not a continuation of this Madras one?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2018, 11:03 AM »
I get the group test thing,  I have no issues with using your own base/spice mix combo, but what I don't get is not sticking to the process and techniques of the recipe.  How you cook a curry is one of the most important parts in the curry jigsaw, and not following the process of the recipe will result in a greatly different curry, more so than using a different mix powder etc
IMVHO, all are equally important, but as important (in this context, at least) is to keep members engaged.  We have, in the past, had the  misfortune to have one or two members who were control freaks; in trying to co-ordinate the group test for this month, I am trying to steer a very fine line between dictating what must be done (a definite no-no, IMO) and abrogating all responsibility.  What I have therefore done is to suggest that members follow the recipe to the letter, but if for any reason they feel unable to do so, then they are (of course) still more than welcome to participate and to submit their results and observations.

Also shouldnt the next group test be in a new post, not a continuation of this Madras one?
Well, no, because this isn't a "Madras" thread; it is a Group testing thread, as can be seen from the "Subject:" line.

** Phil.

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2018, 11:39 AM »
Well, no, because this isn't a "Madras" thread; it is a Group testing thread, as can be seen from the "Subject:" line.

** Phil.

But it was about Madras, now Bhuna, next onion bhaji or pathia or whatever, but as it gets bigger the harder it gets to locate any test info in the future., where as Group test Madras, Group test Bhuna etc in their own topic is easy and rapidily available and not lost on page 34 or whatever it gets up too

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2018, 02:11 PM »
Burying all the group tests together in one long rambling thread is <obscenity deleted> of the highest order.
When you are able to express yourself without recourse to obscenities, I may pay some attention to your views. Until then, please remind yourself of bullet point three of the Terms and Conditions which you accepted on applying to join the forum.  Your post has been reported to the moderator and to Admin.

** Phil.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2018, 02:43 PM »
But it was about Madras, now Bhuna, next onion bhaji or pathia or whatever, but as it gets bigger the harder it gets to locate any test info in the future., where as Group test Madras, Group test Bhuna etc in their own topic is easy and rapidily available and not lost on page 34 or whatever it gets up too
Fair point, Andy, but the fact remains that the title of the thread is "Group testing", not "Group testing (Dipuraja1 standard chicken Madras), and without moderator or Admin intervention, it is now too late to rectify that.  And it's even too late to amend the title of the February test.  As the re-awakening of this thread was Littlechillie's idea, I defer to his judgement as to how best to proceed.

** Phil.

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2018, 12:38 AM »
In the spirit of the past group testing, should Admins guidelines
not be followed, the way it was intended.

All,

For those not familiar with this, we choose recipes from the site then members cook all recipes and give them marks out of 10 in 4 different areas.

-Taste
-Texture
-Cheapness
-Ease to make.

In all cases the higher the score the better.
This will help rank the best recipes on the site.

Please ensure where possible you take photos and embedd in the posts.
In addition please provide a link back to the recipe you are testing

Stew :o
(Moderator: chriswg)

So will PPhil be the first cooking Bobs Bhuna?
I look forward to viewing the result or maybe not ;) ;D

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2018, 08:29 AM »
In the spirit of the past group testing, should Admins guidelines not be followed, the way it was intended.
I don't feel it vital that the guidelines be followed slavishly and am quite happy for participants to follow Littlechillie's less formal approach if they so wish; it is, after all, Littlechillie who had the initiative and good sense to revive this idea, which had previously lain fallow for about five years.  If members choose to follow Admin's guidelines, all well and good; if they prefer LC's less formal approach, equally so.  This is, as I wrote previously, a democracy, not a dictatorhip -- members should, and must, feel free to follow their own good sense.

So will Phil be the first cooking Bobs Bhuna?
What surely matters most is that members enjoy taking part, and that it be viewed as a friendly collaborative exercise, not as a competition or a race.  I personally intend to spend today preparing Polish golonka (German schweinshaxe) rather than anything Indian, but I will undoubtedly have a go at Bob's bhuna before too long ...

** Phil.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 01:20 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2018, 12:58 PM »
What surely matters most is that members enjoy taking part, and that it be viewed as a friendly collaborative exercise, not as a competition or a race

Agreed 100%.  For those who are not interested in the thread, please don't feel obliged to comment.  And for those who feel the need to comment simply  in order to antagonise and provoke other forum members please refrain from doing so.  If you disagree with the methodology, ingredients, results etc, then go and read one of the many other topics on this terrific site.  If anybody feels inclined to join in the cooking, then you are most welcome.

©2024 Curry Recipes