• October 17, 2018, 12:51 AM
Welcome, guest! Please login or register.
collapse

Author Topic: Group testing.  (Read 9907 times)

littlechilie

Re: Group testing.
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2018, 07:11 PM »
My review of Dipuraja 1 Madras has highlighted exactly why I should never dismiss a curry as old school or an early attempt at standard Bir cooking..
I followed dips techniques as exactly as I could, taking the pan off the gas adding the spice and the undiluted tomato pure..
I left the pan on a medium heat, only stirring at the first mix stage.. I then added 6 chef spoons of his base sauce, this as you can see was a perfect size portion... Also 5 pieces of pe cooked chicken. I used dips method..

The Madras is one of the best I have had I a long time, the heat was perfect madras strength with a nice bite and kick..
The flavour was outstanding, I was a little sceptical due to the undiluted tomato and large amount of fenugreek and spice used...
I’m just extremely impressed flavour, texture, spice, depth and smell are all accurate for my taste..
I will be making this again...

Conclusion.
My one thoughts is the flavour of the dish is classic Bir... I would of loved to of eaten the dish without cooking it so I had a totally fresh sense..
I would given the option change tomato purée to blended plumb tomato, also reduce mix powder to 1 tsp.. this is just my opinion..

Not important but served with simple mushroom rice.
Lc

Image hosting by CR0.co.uk
Madras

Madras

Madras

Mushroom rice.

Dips base
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:53 PM by littlechilie »

Offline fried

• Spice God
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2018, 07:24 PM »
Nice one, just finished the last mouthfull of mine too. I'll post my thoughts later.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
  • A closed mind is a would-be chef's worse enemy.
    • The Westberry Hotel & Restaurant
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2018, 08:22 PM »
Madras

Your first picture (above) epitomises my idea of Madras perfection.
** Phil.
Ogham's law :  The intellectual content of any message is inversely proportional to the number of emoticons that it contains..

Offline Madrasandy

• Ive Had Way too Much Curry
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2018, 06:46 AM »
Nice looking Madras there LC

Results were as expected really, too much mix powder, maybe thats just my preference, but the curry was very nice, perfect heat, as it would be with using 1Tbs of chilli powder,
Overall a nice simple BIR curry that is easy to cook and tastes great.

Can I suggest the next group test to be a new curry rather than one we have all made before?
One of Chewy's will be good to do, and as Phil suggested a bhuna  I choose Chewy's bhuna
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcczfArs3lY
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 07:40 AM by Madrasandy »
You cant beat the heat

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
  • Who Care Who Wins...
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2018, 09:32 AM »
My review of Dipuraja 1 Madras...

Good review, LC, and I could metaphorically dive headlong into those photos - your curry certainly looks the part and no mistake!

I won't be making my curry until next week, but your Madras has me champing at the bit now!  :)

Edit: Just saw MA's Madras photo - looks perfect! I could murder a curry now! :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 11:39 AM by Naga »

littlechilie

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2018, 10:20 AM »

Can I suggest the next group test to be a new curry rather than one we have all made before?
One of Chewy's will be good to do, and as Phil suggested a bhuna  I choose Chewy's bhuna
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcczfArs3lY

Hi Andy I see your feeling was very similar to mine in the curry, I also fully enjoyed it but felt the same.

Unfortunately nextMonths curry has already been selected and chosen by Phil.. if you read up the thread you will see the section I asked for volunteers to take over and suggestions.. Phil has made an excellent choice with a (really top dish) so I’m sure you won’t be disappointed ... he will be asking for someone he chooses to follow him for the month of March at a later date...

Your photo looks excellent and I’m pleased to see our Madras looks extremely similar.. did you feel like me that it would benifit from blended tomato rather than undiluted purée?

Offline Madrasandy

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2018, 10:42 AM »
Phil has made an excellent choice with a (really top dish) so I’m sure you won’t be disappointed ...
Good curry, was my goto bhuna for a good while but have moved on to tastier ones now so I'll skip next months group test as there's nothing new to learn

... did you feel like me that it would benifit from blended tomato rather than undiluted purée?
I always prefer blended tomatoes over tomato puree LC  ;)
You cant beat the heat

littlechilie

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2018, 10:50 AM »
Phil has made an excellent choice with a (really top dish) so I’m sure you won’t be disappointed ...
Good curry, was my goto bhuna for a good while but have moved on to tastier ones now so I'll skip next months group test as there's nothing new to learn

... did you feel like me that it would benifit from blended tomato rather than undiluted purée?
I always prefer blended tomatoes over tomato puree LC  ;)

Hey Andy that’s the point of this thread, a tastier curry is only from your opinion, many members may respectfully disagree with you  :D for this reason I would ask your input is important. If we all sit out cos of our personal opinions of a dish we won’t progress...

All our tastes differ and it’s great to have you onboard...
Lc.

Offline Madrasandy

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2018, 12:07 PM »
Agreed LC but I have no interest in cooking that bhuna again so I will sit out till the next one.
Im sure many others will have cooked said curry too, so maybe having a test on a recipe that not many may have made would be more beneficial.
You cant beat the heat

littlechilie

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2018, 12:28 PM »
Agreed LC but I have no interest in cooking that bhuna again so I will sit out till the next one.
Im sure many others will have cooked said curry too, so maybe having a test on a recipe that not many may have made would be more beneficial.

Thanks for your input and participation Andy, but unfortunately agreed it’s probably for the best you sit the next one out then..

You may like these posts on curry-recipes.co.uk: