Author Topic: Group testing.  (Read 38476 times)

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Group testing.
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2018, 09:23 AM »
So, basically, nobody has followed the recipe and method?

Errr, No :) So what was the point of it all? :o

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2018, 10:16 AM »
Probably a reflection on the recipe chosen, maybe a more sensible choice would have elicited better compliance among those who participated.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2018, 10:33 AM »
...Off to the kitchen again now perfect my Dhesi

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2018, 12:50 PM »
So, basically, nobody has followed the recipe and method?

Errr, No :) So what was the point of it all? :o

Simply to have some fun and a bit of a laugh, apparently. As Phil said, anyone who suggested even a hint of some basic rules and the need for consistency would no doubt be considered antagonistic and out of order, like happened to me in the past. No, it's more trendy to pour scorn on anything that sounds like science.

It's absurd for curryhell to suggest we're not capable of doing better in terms of the approach. I;m not suggesting a moderator is a leader but he's to some extent, leading by bad example and a complete lack of vision.

That said. there's still plenty to glean out of the various feedback posts and it must be the best thing to happen on this forum in a long while.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2018, 01:05 PM »
[T]here's still plenty to glean out of the various feedback posts and it must be the best thing to happen on this forum in a long while.
Hear hear.
** Phil.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2018, 04:16 PM »
Err...I followed the recipe exactly to spec. Reading back I mentioned pul biber, this is what I normally use, for this recipe I used paprika 

littlechilie

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2018, 10:21 PM »

Garp there is something serious wrong with your posts as nothing appears under your screen name as above? Have you contacted Admin to see if he has blocked you providing negative feedback?

Awesome to see so much productive cooking on the forum. Really looking forward to trying Phil

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2018, 10:56 PM »
Lmao

The only thing I have contacted Admin about recently is Littlechild sending me abusive personal messages....

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2018, 11:20 AM »
So...

At long last, I got around to making this Madras. I made a half-quantity of Dip's base and a small amount of his mix powder according to the recipes, and I pre-cooked a half-leg of lamb following Dan Toombs 'Stewed Lamb' recipe.

My goto base is JB's nowadays, and I always dilute the finished base with the same amount of water to achieve a thin-soup consistency. It works for me. Given that Dips's base is cooked in much the same way as JB's, I should have doubled the quantity by adding water. For some unknown reason, I only added 25% water, which brought the full quantity up to 2.1 litres or 7x 300ml portions. This was to prove significant in the subsequent cooking of the curry.

Anyway, like Curryhell, I heated the oil in my pan, added the salt and G/G paste (Panpot's Ashoka recipe) closely followed by the tomato puree, mix powder, methi leaves, chilli powder and lemon juice together with a little base just to prevent the spices burning.

Then I added the pre-cooked lamb along with all of the base gravy which immediately began to erupt like lava and immediately caramelise on the sides of the pan. I didn't even have the flame up to full as I usually would, but of course, this was entirely due to my failure to sufficiently dilute the base in the first place. Had I been thinking straight, I would simply have added some water to the pan from the kettle - but I wasn't and didn't.

I put a splatter guard over the pan and let it erupt away for 3-4 minutes before turning the heat off and scraping the caramelisation from the sides of the pan back into the curry which, by this time had lost most of it's liquidity. It wasn't *quite* dry, but it was getting there!

So, what did it taste like? Well, I have to say that it was pretty decent! There was enough sauce left to stick to the rice and the lamb was beautifully moist and tender. The tablespoon of chilli powder was rather more heat than I would normally use in a single-portion recipe - suffice to say that the curry passed the 'bead-of-sweat-on-the-forehead' test! It certainly turned out a lot better than I expected and, without a doubt, I've paid good money for worse curries!

littlechilie

« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2018, 12:31 PM »
Hi Naga, like you I I used hot oil and hot pan, not sure  ??? How the confusion arose on that one as Dipuraja clearly tells up at the end of his videos that the oil must be hot beforehand.. he

©2024 Curry Recipes