Author Topic: Group testing.  (Read 38182 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Group testing (Bob's bhuna chicken)
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2018, 09:21 AM »
I note that none of the major supermarkets appear to be selling Chalice Indian-style hot curry oil at the moment; I have asked their parent company (AAK-UK) whether it is still in production and will report back.  If not, I would suggest substituting one of the many supermarket own-brand chilli-infused oils (but not chilli-infused olive oil, for obvious reasons).

In the meantime, I have put a unified version of the recipe for this month on the web so that it is not necessary to follow two or more hyperlinks in order to read everything.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 09:29 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2018, 06:42 PM »
In the meantime, I have put a unified version of the recipe for this month on the web so that it is not necessary to follow two or more hyperlinks in order to read everything.

** Phil.

Nice one, makes things easier, even though was my goto bhuna recipe for quite a while

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Group testing.
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2018, 08:49 PM »
I note that none of the major supermarkets appear to be selling Chalice Indian-style hot curry oil at the moment ... I would suggest substituting one of the many supermarket own-brand chilli-infused oils

The Chalice Hot Curry Oil is "Deliciously flavoured with ginger, garlic, hot chilli, coriander, fenugreek and capsicum paprika ...", so I'd suggest that an extra glug or two of your usual oil added to any savoury curry and spooned off at the end of cooking might be a more accurate substitute. It's what we normally refer to as spiced or seasoned oil on the forum.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2018, 09:09 PM »
The Chalice Hot Curry Oil is "Deliciously flavoured with ginger, garlic, hot chilli, coriander, fenugreek and capsicum paprika ...", so I'd suggest that an extra glug or two of your usual oil added to any savoury curry and spooned off at the end of cooking might be a more accurate substitute. It's what we normally refer to as spiced or seasoned oil on the forum.
Sounds good to me, Santa -- in the absence of a bottle of the Real Thing, I just guessed (wrongly, as it turned out) that it was just a standard chilli-infused oil with an impressive name ...

** Phil.

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
Re: Group testing.- Bhuna
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2018, 08:23 PM »
Had a portion of base left over from Friday so thought I'd give the Bhuna a revisit.
Made to spec apart from no hot curry oil and jb base rather than the Taz base, but apart from that everything else was made as per recipe.
I like this recipe, always enjoyable to cook, always tastes great, well worth making especially if you havent made it before.
But there are better bhuna recipes out there, if I was asked to score it I would probably say around a 7/10

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2018, 10:20 PM »
But there are better bhuna recipes out there, if I was asked to score it I would probably say around a 7/10

Many thanks for your feedback, Andy.  Can you say which bhuna recipes you would rate more favourably ?
** Phil.

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2018, 08:40 AM »
.  Can you say which bhuna recipes you would rate more favourably ?
** Phil.

The one I have been really enjoying recently is a Chewytikka creation from his youtube channel

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2018, 06:53 PM »
OK, so we're more than 3/4 of the way through February and it's therefore time for me to have a go.  Below are the first four stages of Taz's base :  raw ingredients, in the pan, after one hour, and after 1H15.  The base is now cooling for me to liquidise/blend; further photographs to follow.  It was interesting to see that Taz's base is very non-specific as to exactly what is meant to be done with the ingredients, so for the record here is what I did with mine :
  • Onions: topped, tailed, peeled, cut into eight (one bisecting cut in each major axis)
  • Ginger: peeled, cut into four longitudinally, then into 3/32" slices
  • Garlic: topped, tailed, peeled, cut into 3/32" slices
  • Green pepper: topped, cut into four longitudinally, then into random bite-sized pieces
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 09:32 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2018, 08:11 PM »
That's a shitload of oil, Phil  ???

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2018, 08:26 PM »
That's a shitload of oil, Phil  ???

It's the Taz base Garp, it's meant to be that way because no other oil is added when making the curry.

©2024 Curry Recipes