Author Topic: Easy curry for beginners  (Read 1902 times)

Offline bigdodge007

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Easy curry for beginners
« on: January 19, 2018, 06:34 AM »
Can eny one give me the recipe for a easy curry

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Easy curry for beginners
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 07:05 AM »
The easiest curry I know:

Buy a 100g block of "Golden Curry"  http://www.sbfoods-worldwide.com/products/curry/retail/america_page.html in the supermarket. Chop up an onion and some raw chicken and fry them. Peel & Cut up 1 large carrots and 1 medium potato and add along with 650ml water. Break up your golden curry block into the water, stir and bring it to a low simmer for 15 mins. Boom! tasty curry in about 25 mins total.

More of less any of the recipes on this site are not quick or easy as they are restaurant recipes which take a long prep and cook of a base sauce before you can do anything. Everything is easy when you know how of course, but there's a learning curve and commitment required.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 10:56 AM »
Can anyone give me the recipe for an easy curry
I would suggest :** Phil.

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 12:32 PM »
Hey bigdodge007!

This one is called "Tandoori Masala Mattar" and it's very easy but also very tasty. It's neither BIR nor traditional but "modern indian", as the authors explain that they came up with this recipe in a workshop together with their cooking pupils . It's out of Sushila Issars and Mrinal Kopeckys german cookbook "Indian - Vegetarian", first published in 1991 and steadily re-issued over the years.

This serves 4. You'll need:

3 big potatoes, cut in small cubed
300 gm canned peas
100 ml cream
4-6 TBS Water
3 TBS Ghee or Oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 TBS Tandoori powder (or Tandoori paste)
1 tsp salt (check salt level of paste and powder and adjust or omit)
2 TBS fresh chopped coriander leaves

Heat up the Ghee or Oil and add the cumin seeds. Roast these for approx. 30 sec and then add potatoes, turmeric, tandoori masala and the water (I prefer to mix the water and the Tandoori Masala beforehand). Stir and let it cook on low heat for about 5 minutes, lid on, stirring 1-2 times in between. Then add the cream and let it cook on lowest heat till the potatoes becoming tender, lid on. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking - at some point it could thicken quite fast. Keep 1-2 TBS additional water (or cream) handy just in case. add the rinsed, canned peas a few minutes before turning the heat off. Check seasoning. Sprinkle with the 2 TBS coriander leaves before serving.

Great with simple plain rice.

I tried it out a few years ago for friends and family at christmas and it went EXTREMELY well.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 12:43 PM by chonk »

©2024 Curry Recipes