Author Topic: Fried chapati ?  (Read 1363 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Fried chapati ?
« on: January 24, 2018, 07:35 PM »
I was frying some popadom this evening, and when I had finished I was about to re-heat (wipe with ghee, dampen, microwave) a Nishaan pre-made roti when I had an idea.  I tore it into quarters (I am using only a mini-wok at the moment) and fried each quarter until bubbles started to form.  Much to my surprise, it not only remained tender, it seemed even more tender than after being ghee'd, dampened and microwaved.  Has anyone else ever tried frying chapati ?

** Phil.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Fried chapati ?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 11:02 PM »
I have made Pooris before. Given that they are a simple unleavened bread, comprising flour and water (with salt if preferred), then the recipe is identical to that for chapatis. They are then deep fried in hot oil and they puff up when they are cooking. So, that sense, yes I have deep fried chaptis,

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 09:28 AM »
Yes, I realised after I had written the question that pooris (or "puris", as they are spelled locally) are very similar to fried chapati, Stephen. The main difference, I suspect, is that the Nishaan pre-made roti are pre-roast.  I tried frying a whole one last night (it just fitted my mini-wok) and it was excellent.

** Phil.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 02:19 PM »
I'm quite partial to an egg-fried chapatti :)

©2024 Curry Recipes