Author Topic: rshome123's Karahi  (Read 2768 times)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
rshome123's Karahi
« on: February 16, 2018, 12:04 PM »
We had a bit of a mini-feast recently. On the menu was vegetable pakora and Alex Wilkie's chicken pakora with chilli and chilli/yoghurt dips, followed by CA's excellent Chicken Ceylon,

Stephen Lindsay's fantastic Murgh Makhani/Butter Chicken (adapted from the Taz method)

and a Lamb Karahi from rshome123 (aka MistyRicardo, I think!) along with turmeric-boiled basmati rice and shop-bought garlic and coriander naan.

The Ceylon Chicken and Butter Chicken recipes have long been standards for me, but I've been on the lookout for a Karahi recipe that comes close to an excellent dish served by a local takeaway. I made a couple of adaptations to rshome123's recipe and it definitely isn't a million miles away - it's a good recipe IMO.

I added some chunks of onion and green pepper to the recipe as they're included in the takeaway version and I added about 60 ml stock from the reduced pre-cooked lamb gravy just to deepen the lamb flavour.

There's a link to a video recipe in the Karahi thread. Definitely worth a go!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 03:25 PM by Naga »

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: rshome123's Karahi
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 01:56 PM »
They look great Naga. You've inspired me to get my pans out...

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 06:21 PM »
Now those are real quality-looking dishes.....just what the forum needed :)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 08:25 PM »
Nice pics . Those butter chicken & karahi dishes look right up my alley.
I'd never tasted Ceylon, when I made .ca's version years ago, and wasn't keen to add a tablespoon of sugar to any curry. Maybe make it again sometime though

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 11:33 PM »
when I made .ca's version years ago, and wasn't keen to add a tablespoon of sugar to any curry. Maybe make it again sometime though

Most (all?) of CA's curries are overly sweet. For Ceylon just start with the coconut and lemon which are the main flavours and then add sugar a bit at a time just to take the edge off the lemon until it suits your palate.

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 07:00 AM »
Keep in mind that Ceylon is of a vintage when CA was insisting that base gravy should only be cooked at a "low simmer for one hour" and that cooking faster or longer was pointless and "made no difference". So the amount of sugar was probably to balance out the inevitable harshness of flavour coming from the bad base recipe.   These days it seems like 90 minutes in a pressure cooker is just the ticket according to him...

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 07:17 AM »
when I made .ca's version years ago, and wasn't keen to add a tablespoon of sugar to any curry. Maybe make it again sometime though

Most (all?) of CA's curries are overly sweet. For Ceylon just start with the coconut and lemon which are the main flavours and then add sugar a bit at a time just to take the edge off the lemon until it suits your palate.

Spot on! I always said he had a sweet tooth (which he mostly denied) and I only add a teaspoon of sugar at most to what is a generous 2-person curry. To be fair, his recipe does say " (or to taste)", but if you stick a tbsp of sugar into it, you'll know all about it!

©2024 Curry Recipes