Author Topic: Goat Dhansak  (Read 6671 times)

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Goat Dhansak
« on: February 24, 2018, 09:31 AM »
Whilst scouring the net for goat recipes I found this particular one on a number of sites, variously described as traditional or Grandmothers Dhansak. I took to this recipe as it didn

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Goat Dhansak
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 08:33 PM »
As I have a project for this weekend that uses up all my goat meat, a trip to the butcher at Chelmsford market would be in order before next weekend and another project is born

I got carried away again.
1 kilo goat, off the bone but the bones thrown in.
1.5 kilos mutton, again off the bone but with the bones chucked in.
2 kilos shin of beef on the bone (3 big thick slices with lots of visible bone-marrow)
4 large lamb shanks.
A big slab of beef dripping
T63

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 11:25 PM »
Some tasty cooking ahead for you.  What do you intend doing with the shin beef?  My Greek mate once did an Osso Bucco style stew with Greek influence. It was prepared in a camp oven / Dutch oven on an open fire.  It was amazing.  I often do shin beef in the slow cooker.  Really good food.

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 06:59 AM »
Some tasty cooking ahead for you.  What do you intend doing with the shin beef?  My Greek mate once did an Osso Bucco style stew with Greek influence. It was prepared in a camp oven / Dutch oven on an open fire.  It was amazing.  I often do shin beef in the slow cooker.  Really good food.

Definitely going in the slow cooker, not sure yet if it will be a British style stew or a curry. I currently favour the first option, most likely cooking it in some ale which leads me to think it would possibly make a great Flemish carbonnade?
T63

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 10:42 AM »
A good ale is critical for stew with beef. Shin beef on bone stewed in beer. Mmmmmmmmm. I remember hearing about beer in beef stew on the radio when I was driving a truck that only had am band. I thought to myself, I'll have to try that. Amazing and the beauty of a good stew is to keep it simple.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 12:07 PM »
A good ale is critical for stew with beef. Shin beef on bone stewed in beer. Mmmmmmmmm. I remember hearing about beer in beef stew on the radio when I was driving a truck that only had am band. I thought to myself, I'll have to try that. Amazing and the beauty of a good stew is to keep it simple.
I do not dispute for one second that a good steak-and-ale pie is an excellent dish.  But is it better (or even as good as) a steak-and-kidney pie made with no ale whatsoever ?  I would suggest not.  A steak-and-kidney pie is pure perfection, and as simple as anyone could wish -- gently saut

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 10:17 PM »
Definitely a case of each to their own here Pp. I can't stand the taste of kidney.

T63 did cook the dhansak?

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 09:22 PM »
Definitely a case of each to their own here Pp. I can't stand the taste of kidney.

T63 did cook the dhansak?

The lentils are soaking as we speak. Couldn

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 05:22 AM »
Best Dhansak I have ever knocked up. I added a couple of onions to the original recipe and browned them off after searing the meat., I also used 1.5 kilos of meat off the bone.
Knocked the pants off some of the others I have cooked, but believe me, you need a big pan for this.
T63

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 06:28 AM »
I watched a documentary one time years ago and I can't recall the details. Somebody here may remember it.  It was about a big open event cooking competition in India and these backyard cooks from around the country could enter and prepare their own best signature dish. They cooked them in big pots, on open fires, over primitive gas burners etc.

I'm pretty sure the old guy who ended up winning cooked either a Mutton or a Goat Dhansak. It must have been pretty good.  How much would you like to get the gig judging it?

I'm yet to try cooking a Dhansak but it is on the list.

©2024 Curry Recipes