Author Topic: What is the difference between Glasgow Punjabi Curry to Englands Bengali Currys?  (Read 1827 times)

Offline CURRYISNICE

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hello all!

I moved from England to next to Glasgow, was in an area of England which all the chefs were Bengali at the Indian Restaurants/Take aways. Since moving to near to Glasgow I discovered the curries tasted totally different!! I thought it was just me but then was informed that all the curries in Glasgow are all Punjabi and Punjabi curries are totally different to the Bengali Influenced curry you would find in England.

I have found the curries in Glasgow are VERY spicy, I dont mean hot but loads of spices, really over bearing, even the milder curries ie Rogan Josh, Dopiaza etc and no matter what curry I have got and from which restaurant or take away the main thing I can taste in Ginger and Garlic.

Back in England the Bengali influenced curries were more of smoothe vegetable flavour not spicy and could never taste garlic or ginger in them and they were a tiny little sweet.

A couple of places have said "Well are chefs are all from the Punjab region but will try and make the type of curry you like" but sadly just have never worked out.

I find it hard to believe Bengali Currys in England dont have ginger or garlic but maybe they do but just a tiny little? or maybe they dont?

So what I am asking is can anyone tell me how I can describe to them how to make it? as I just am not able to really explain it properly?

Or maybe there is someone on here from Glasgow and can recommend a place that knows how to make a England Bengali style curry? or maybe someone on here is a chef at a Indian place and knows exactly how to cook a Bengali England style curry? as at the moment there seems to be no Bengali Curry places here at all.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
I'm not keen on Scottish curries for this same reason.
The difference being, Bengali's will fry the garlic and ginger at the beginning, where as Punjabi's will add it after the sauce has gone in giving a raw G&G flavour to the finished dish.

Offline CURRYISNICE

• Chef
    • View Profile
Thanks, yes I mean every curry from the mildest plain chicken curry to a Madrass all you can taste is ginger and very very strong spices. Not for me personally.

I have also just discovered that Punjabis use a Tomato Base but Bengalis use a onion base which also gives the curry a slightly sweet flavour which I think is very nice. 

©2024 Curry Recipes