Author Topic: Tandoori Masala Powder  (Read 2938 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Tandoori Masala Powder
« on: March 06, 2018, 06:55 AM »
I wonder if anybody would share their own blend of Tandoori Masala or which is their preferred bought variety.

I'll use this quote to illustrate the reason for my question.

1 tsp tandoori masala powder (I mix my own nowadays but any will do)

I examined a dozen different powder formulae today and they are wildly different in both ingredients actually included and proportional ratios of any common elements.  Rajah, Shan, MDH, Mothers Recipe, Herbies, Epicurios, Seasoned Pioneers to name a few plus a couple out of Curry books as well.

I  know I can buy a packet of Rajah or Shan or MDH but I'd much rather blend my own Masala powders and make my own pastes from whole spices at home.  Rajah seems to contain a large number of listed spices compared to most others.  It's like the Kitchen King of Tandoori Powders.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tandoori Masala Powder
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 11:56 AM »
I've used Pat Chapman's tandoori masala ever since the ingredient list was posted here:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=8700.msg77410#msg77410

I'm probably not the best judge of what makes a good tandoori masala but it seems ok to me.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 07:07 PM »
Thanks Naga and looking at the link shows that others were, and maybe still are, using this mix as well. It contains the most common always there spices plus Amchoor / Amchur (mango powder).

The variety of others spices used in some mixes is quite significant. It seems you can put whatever you like in it and still call it by a "standard" name. As a person who has studied chemistry, where the presence of an extra atom creates a differently named molecule, this is disturbing.  ;D

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 10:01 PM »
I rarely use this in BIR cooking, much prefer paste for marinades etc

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 11:10 PM »
...... much prefer paste for marinades etc

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 09:01 PM »
No I dont!
Life too short to make everything from zero,
Its a bit like if you want some milk for your coffee, but you have to go and milk your cow first. ;D

Maharajahs choice is probably as good as any other Tandoori paste or maybe not
Don

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 09:19 PM »
Thanks. I'll look into it. Sometimes I do things for therapeutic value; ie, excuse to fluff around the kitchen. 

If homemade powdered masala is stronger than store bought then I will certainly need to be very mindful of it's use and as you say "think on", as in plan ahead. I used the store bought stuff in my cupboard yesterday and it was easy to over-spice once it was doubled up in a 2 stage cook.  That's my inexperience with spice usage shining through.  Still a couple of very nice dishes though and can only get better.

©2024 Curry Recipes