Author Topic: Starting ladle.  (Read 3873 times)

Bing

Starting ladle.
« on: March 07, 2018, 05:50 PM »
Hello hey

Problem for me watching observing cooking of BIR is my problem bir chef cook big pot base. From pot starting ladle for curry like madras is oil ladle from top of pot. Mild curry is label from deep no oil. When freezing base thi can not really be actually done right.

What is views opinions on this please for helping me.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Starting ladle.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 06:52 PM »
The big pot of base gravy should be warmed and the same from top to bottom. Not much oil and it doesn't matter where you ladle from.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 07:11 PM »
Problem for me watching observing cooking of BIR is my problem bir chef cook big pot base. From pot starting ladle for curry like madras is oil ladle from top of pot. Mild curry is label from deep no oil.

I think that's a very interesting point, and not one I had ever considered previously.  There is no doubt that the oil will absorb far more flavour (and heat, if present) from the spices than the aqueous elements, so if the base is chilli-heavy then trying to avoid ladling out too much oil would certainly help when trying to cook a very mild curry.  The answer, I suspect, if you are planning to cook both mild and hot curries using the same base, is to ensure that your base is not chilli-heavy in the first place.

** Phil.

Bing

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 07:21 PM »
The big pot of base gravy should be warmed and the same from top to bottom. Not much oil and it doesn't matter where you ladle from.

Thank you Sir but I differ opinions. See I watched many times and it matters lots. Hot curry always starts with ladle inclusiveness of oil top on top for bir flavour tastes.  This you can not achieve from frozen gravy.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 08:18 PM »
There is hardly any spice, especially Chili, in any base gravy recipe I've seen on this site or anywhere else and that is by design and to deal with this exact issue. Any excess oil present from what I've seen is skimmed off, or if left in the base it is emulsified. This should render the warmed pot of base gravy homogeneous and therefore it should make little to no difference in the dish. This is the exact purpose of a one size fits all base gravy. Freezing and thawing may cause some oil separation. I would re-blend or give it a good stir.

If you notice any stratification of your own base then you've answered your own question.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 08:49 PM »
Could be on to something chewy. I just assumed it was English as second language issues or perhaps some excessive rastifari herbal indulgence based on the avatar image of Bob.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 09:18 PM »
Whois Bing?
Looks like a bogus new member, with contrived fake bad grammar. ::) ::)
Obviously an old member with some weird life issues at the moment.

Flaming Needs nipping in the bud >:( reported to mod

Or, as I wrote in my "Report to moderator" feedback on your message, CT, "Yet another gratuitously offensive message from CT".

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 10:37 PM »
See I watched many times and it matters lots. Hot curry always starts with ladle inclusiveness of oil top on top for bir flavour tastes.  This you can not achieve from frozen gravy.

I'm wondering if when you say "hot curry" you actually mean the savoury curries such as madras, vindaloo, bhuna etc., essentially those that don't have cream or the like added in. In which case you're quite right the oil is, in my tried and tested opinion, very necessary for the BIR savoury curry flavour - or at least one component of it.

Bing

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 05:51 AM »
Hi hi.

Yes yes Ss this is my meaning please forgive my grammar. I have tried to replicate from big base pot using oil to start hot curry perfect results. But freezes and flavoured oil is to be lost. You watch and see every ladle for mild curry come from deep scoops avoiding floating oil. Technically and methods. This why chef always say cant be copy at home cook.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 07:42 AM »
Are you guys awake yet?  Wow. Chicken is the answer.  After reading back over old posts I stumbled across the practice of throwing a whole live chicken in your base.  That is the secret. 

No, not really but close. Seriously, this has been an awakening for me and I'll tell you more later with pictures.

©2024 Curry Recipes