Author Topic: Garlic Pickle  (Read 6565 times)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Garlic Pickle
« on: March 08, 2018, 04:10 PM »
I have plans to make jb's Garlic Chilli Chicken at the weekend, but garlic pickle is one ingredient missing from my store cupboad and isn't readily available at short notice.

I decided to knock some up in the kitchen myself and had a look around the web for recipes. I couldn't find any that conformed exactly to the ingredient list of 'Ahmed Foods Garlic Pickle in Oil' mentioned by jb in his thread - most had many more ingredients, but the preparation methods were pretty standard.

At last, I plumped for VahChef Sanjay Thumma's recipe. Unfortunately, the quantites of his ingredients used in the video didn't ring true with his written ingredients list. So I had to guess a bit. As a garlic pickle virgin, I had no idea what it should look like, far less taste like, but I have to say the finished article is pretty moreish and I'd be happy to eat it with a poppadom or two never mind put it into a curry!

If anyone fancies trying it for themselves, here's my interpretation of the VahChef's recipe:

GARLIC PICKLE
By:
Sanjay Thumma (VahChef)

Makes: Approx. 800g

Ingredients

For the Pickle Paste

250ml vegetable oil
2 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Garlic Pickle
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 05:26 PM »
I had no idea what it should look like,

Like a jar of baby slugs  :D

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 07:34 PM »
I had no idea what it should look like,

Like a jar of baby slugs  :D

So Naga was pretty close, then ...

Bing

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 08:39 PM »
Yuckity yuck .   ;D

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 09:11 PM »
Hi Naga I've just made a South Indian using garlic pickle as per the jb post.
I've never added the garlic flavour to this dish in this way, but it sounded like a fraction of the work of making the South Indian sauce.
I used Priya garlic pickle, with my own gravy, which I think is fairly neutral in terms spice oil, salt etc
and although I'm sure jb & his chef have the balance right , with their spice & gravy, mine turned out Achari like, due to adding pickle, and a fair bit overspiced due to the other ingredients in the Priya.
Didn't stop me tannin the lot, but I wouldn't have called it a south Indian
The Priya brand is quite red in colour

ELW

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 10:08 PM »
...although I'm sure jb & his chef have the balance right , with their spice & gravy, mine turned out Achari like, due to adding pickle, and a fair bit overspiced due to the other ingredients in the Priya.
Didn't stop me tannin the lot, but I wouldn't have called it a south Indian
The Priya brand is quite red in colour

Thanks for the info, ELW - your insight is much appreciated.. As I mentioned, it's not handy for me to pop out and buy some commercial garlic pickle right now, and I don't mind having a go at making my own stuff. I'm making jb's curry on Sunday and looking forward to it too. I know what: you mean about tanning the pickle! It's so moreish it's hard to resist! :)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 10:32 PM »
Interesting
How big were the garlic cloves in your pickle ELW

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 01:49 AM »
Interesting
How big were the garlic cloves in your pickle ELW
There was,a few chewytikka, but this was more of an red oily paste than a pickle. The market local to me have about 6 differently brands of garlic pickle, this one wasn't the cheapest
Round here, lots of the ta/s will throw pickle into anything and call it anything (Balti Karahi?)
I may have been a bit heavy handed with the pickle, I'm sure my gravy was bland enough,but  my south Indian doesn't taste anything like this
ELW

I'll photo the stuff rather than describe it, definitely paste like in texture, but pickle flavoured

ELW

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 04:18 PM »
Its ok ELW, I

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 01:25 AM »