Author Topic: A New Development?  (Read 12391 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: A New Development?
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 04:41 PM »
My base might be even more yellow Phil because I tend to use a yellow pepper instead of red or green - I find the green makes it a little more grey. Not a major issue but just a small preference.

Ah, you may be on to something there, Stephen -- I have a strange feeling I may not have had a green pepper when I made the Taz base, and may indeed have used a yellow one ...

No, I was mistaken -- it was indeed green, and clearly visible as such in the photograph.  Ah well ...

** Phil.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 05:30 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 09:18 AM »
So the feedback from Imry (Imran), who owns the takeaway we go to was very positive. He said that he thought my curries were really good and was amazed that they were done in a domestic kitchen, even more so when I told him I have an electric cooker.

He asked me how I make my gravy (base) and I told him my recipe for the Taz base and this was very similar to what he puts in his also. The one exception is that he puts in some coconut cream so that may be worth trying next time I make up a batch. I have a feeling there may be some creamed coconut in the Ashoka base?

I am not sure about the rest of the UK but in Scotland there has been a trend to include 'homestyle' curries on menus, and a well known example of this is called the 'Village" curry. This is an attempt to try and offer dishes that are more like the kinds of curries cooked at home but not totally cooking them from scratch, and without taking a long time to complete a curry. He said that for these curries he makes a separate type of base. He told me how he does it and this is something I might attempt if I can also work out the recipe for the Village curry. I intend to discuss this more with him next time I see him which won't be for a few weeks as he is going on holiday.

I look forward to doing so however, as this has sparked a new area of interest for me.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 12:19 PM »
SL, is this a Bangladeshi or Pakistani take away?

Be good if you could identify his Take Away, as peeps could
check it out, if its online.

Village curry = Aka Staff curry or Apna style south of the border

cooking on electrickery, Oh Dear!
Is that why you cook and promote the querky Taz method

Camping Gaz hobs are so cheap.  ;);D

cheers Chewy

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 06:06 PM »
All interesting stuff, Stephen and thanks for sharing. It's good to get some feedback from someone who does it for a living.

Not sure about the coconut cream: I tried it once (think it was maybe the Glasgow base) and I didn't rate it. I prefer a really basic base which can be added to at a later stage.

Good stuff though :)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 10:00 PM »
Interesting post Stephen. I think this forum lacks enough genuine restaurant and t/a  recipes and techniques ,however good or bad. There is some great stuff on here, but not enough imo.
The coconut addition is in all sorts of bases on this forum, not least jb's base which has never had a bad review  :-\
'Desi' curries are all over the menus in Glasgow, using okra, mint, bitter gourd ,bone in meat etc, but I've never tried one. You don't even need to ask what the staff curry is some places as they advertise a choice of them on the menu. ' Oil free ' curries also

Hope he lets you have a good look round

ELW

littlechilie

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2018, 07:25 AM »
So the feedback from Imry (Imran), who owns the takeaway we go to was very positive. He said that he thought my curries were really good and was amazed that they were done in a domestic kitchen, even more so when I told him I have an electric cooker.

He asked me how I make my gravy (base) and I told him my recipe for the Taz base and this was very similar to what he puts in his also. The one exception is that he puts in some coconut cream so that may be worth trying next time I make up a batch. I have a feeling there may be some creamed coconut in the Ashoka base?

I am not sure about the rest of the UK but in Scotland there has been a trend to include 'homestyle' curries on menus, and a well known example of this is called the 'Village" curry. This is an attempt to try and offer dishes that are more like the kinds of curries cooked at home but not totally cooking them from scratch, and without taking a long time to complete a curry. He said that for these curries he makes a separate type of base. He told me how he does it and this is something I might attempt if I can also work out the recipe for the Village curry. I intend to discuss this more with him next time I see him which won't be for a few weeks as he is going on holiday.

I look forward to doing so however, as this has sparked a new area of interest for me.

Hi Stephen, many thanks for your informative post on British Indian restaurant cooking, yes I totally agree with the above post by ELW there is far too few genuine posts and they are just so inspirational.
You can
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 07:59 AM by littlechilie »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2018, 10:03 AM »

I assume you are joking. The gas is a complete rip off - one of the most expensive fuel sources ever,

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2018, 10:30 AM »

I assume you are joking. The gas is a complete rip off - one of the most expensive fuel sources ever,

I don't think there is any inconsistency between a hob being cheap and its fuel being outrageously expensive.  Exactly the same situation obtains with (for example) colour printers (both laser and ink-jet) which manufacturers virtually give away, knowing full well they will more than recoup their losses through the sales of toner and/or ink cartridges.  My most recent Dell full-duplex monochrome printer (a 3330dn) cost me the princely sum of
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 11:39 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2018, 11:31 AM »
I've just taken my 18 year old, 6 burner LPG barbecue to the scrap metal yard, but before I did I removed the side wok burner fittings. It's a ripper gas ring so I intend on mounting it into a bench somewhere out back. Should be able to get some near commercial kitchen heat going with it. ;D

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2018, 03:28 PM »

[/quote]
cooking on electrickery, Oh Dear!
Is that why you cook and promote the querky Taz method

cheers Chewy
[/quote]

That's what's in my kitchen Chewy so I have to make do. I did have a gas cooker in my previous home. Its not why I cook Taz method and base, I do so because I Iike the results. The camping gas idea is a good one, I will definitely give this a try!

Imry's family originate from Pakistan but judging by his accent he is clearly born and raised locally to me.

©2024 Curry Recipes