• June 20, 2019, 10:43 AM
Welcome, guest! Please login or register.
collapse

* RGBD

Author Topic: Poppadoms/Pappadoms  (Read 11444 times)

Offline jalfreziT

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Poppadoms/Pappadoms
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 02:19 PM »
So much depends on the local humidity level. So advice from others might not always be valid.

E.g. when I make crispy chilli beef in the winter, it is a million times better than in the summer.

Where I live winters are very cold and dry. Summers are warm/hot and humid. It really makes a difference.

Offline JonG

• Trainee Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 02:43 PM »
Crispy chilli beef sounds amazing!  Agree abihf humidity, I notice this in baking too, where flour amounts really change between summer and winter

Online mickyp

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 03:04 PM »
Old thread I know, but I didn’t know about this trick of putting deep fried poppadoms in the oven to dry them out. I still don’t really know how it works, but it does. Tried it yesterday- 60C for 20 mins. This was after deep frying them for 45 secs at 190C.  Perfect result.

Hi JonG
I doubt mine are in more than 10 secs at 180, 45 secs seems a long time lol, credit due after reading so many (simply fry and serve) poppadom recipe's it was Kris Dillons book that put me on the right track with using the oven afterwards, i use a platic container to keep em, the family nibble them for a couple of days after a curry as i cook about 20 or so. they freeze fine too.

Offline JonG

• Trainee Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 03:10 PM »
Thanks micky
.youre probably right, I don’t know where I plucked 45 seconds from as I simply pull them out when they stop fizzing. Didn’t know that you could freeze poppadoms as I would have assumed they would dry out in the freezer. You learn something every day!

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
  • "Attention-seeking disorder"—disease of childhood
    • View Profile
    • The Westberry Hotel / Hoi-An Restaurant
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2019, 03:12 PM »
Mine get about 20 seconds, but I cook two at a time, broken in halves, then each half rotated 90 degrees w.r.t. its neighbours, the whole lot fitting nicely into the basket of my deep-fat fryer.  Shake well in the basket, tilt and allow to drain, then rest on kitchen paper in a large wicker basket.  I will put them in the top oven which has previously been at 100C if I can't serve them immediately, but would not bother if guests are waiting for them.  Mrs Bari always serves hers fresh from the deep-fat fryer — she tells me she does not like them so much if they are rested in a warm oven.
Ogham's law :  The intellectual content of any message typically varies as the reciprocal of the number of emoticons that it contains..

Offline chewytikka

• Ive Had Way too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 11:37 AM »
For the/any new members or beginners.
This is how poppadoms are cooked in a real BIR kitchen

Usually 100 are cooked and stored on end in containers.
The warming cabinet is then filled ready for service.

Poppadoms are best flamed on direct heat (Gas stovetop)
Crisps them up and enhances the flavour. ;)

cheers Chewy
Burn those spices "Singefry" and Bhunao are the keys to success.
Smoking Mustard Oil is good for You and your curries.....Lol

Offline Secret Santa

• Ive Had Way too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2019, 07:45 PM »
Blimey, I could barely understand that guy. Worst English accent ever! I understood the chef though.  ::) ;D
Fighting for truth, justice and the BIR way!

You may like these posts on curry-recipes.co.uk: