• August 18, 2018, 04:09 AM
Welcome, guest! Please login or register.
collapse

Author Topic: Chicken Nentara with Taz Base  (Read 725 times)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Ive Had Way too Much Curry
  • Guns 'n' Roses have Slash but our guitarist's Pish
Chicken Nentara with Taz Base
« on: April 08, 2018, 09:43 PM »
This is a curry on the 'Specials' menu from Imry's takeaway. It is described simply as a mild dish with fresh cream and cashew nuts. I have tried to replicate his dish which tasted to me like a Pasanda with tomato in it. This is my first effort - close but not quite there.  It looks identical but the taste needs a bit more more work. I am going to experiment with different ways of including the tomato. This has tomato ketchup in it. Once I'm happy with it I'll post the recipe.

I think it looks good though!

a legend in his own lunchtime

Offline livo

• Curry Spice Master
Re: Chicken Nentara with Taz Base
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 10:56 PM »
Stephen, that looks pretty nice.  I have eaten vegetable Nentara before and recall enjoying it.  Have you thought of adding the tomato by the inclusion of either a Makhani Gravy (Butter Sauce) or a Masala Sauce.  Both of these are very Indian in style and flavour but rich in tomato.  I have recently had some very pleasing results using hybrids of these sauces with base gravy.  The ratios of each can give a lot of control as to the scale of tomato depth.

I used Mridula Baljekar's "The Real Balti" Makhani Gravy which is good.  I believe Chewytikka has a Masala Sauce video or there is a recipe in J & P L:ardner's Balti book.  I'm sure you wont struggle to find a good Indian Tomato sauce.

Of course it may be something as simple as using Campbell's Tomato Soup concentrate which I understand was common in BIR kitchens for that authentic taste.
Whiskey is the answer, but what was the question?

Offline Stephen Lindsay

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 06:49 PM »
Livo

Yes I had thought of using tomato soup or tomato puree dilute. I did 't have any soup so used the ketchup with no sugar to give some sweetness. It's quite good fun trying to experiment and work out a clone recipe.

S

littlechilie

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 10:26 AM »
Stephen, this looks absolutely delicious and thanks for sharing. It’s not something I’m familiar without a quick google so I’m not going to offer any advice.. but it sure looks the business..

Offline Stephen Lindsay

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 12:24 PM »
Stephen, this looks absolutely delicious and thanks for sharing. It’s not something I’m familiar without a quick google so I’m not going to offer any advice.. but it sure looks the business..

Thanks for the positive feedback LC.

Offline ELW

• Spice God
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 05:10 PM »
Livo

Yes I had thought of using tomato soup or tomato puree dilute. I did 't have any soup so used the ketchup with no sugar to give some sweetness. It's quite good fun trying to experiment and work out a clone recipe.

S

I've always  wondered what Nentara tastes like Stephen. I've also clocked cases of Heinz tomato soup in various places, so they must be using it somewhere.

ELW

You may like these posts on curry-recipes.co.uk: