Author Topic: Chicken Nentara with Taz Base  (Read 7979 times)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Chicken Nentara with Taz Base
« on: April 08, 2018, 09:43 PM »
This is a curry on the 'Specials' menu from Imry's takeaway. It is described simply as a mild dish with fresh cream and cashew nuts. I have tried to replicate his dish which tasted to me like a Pasanda with tomato in it. This is my first effort - close but not quite there.  It looks identical but the taste needs a bit more more work. I am going to experiment with different ways of including the tomato. This has tomato ketchup in it. Once I'm happy with it I'll post the recipe.

I think it looks good though!

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Nentara with Taz Base
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 10:56 PM »
Stephen, that looks pretty nice.  I have eaten vegetable Nentara before and recall enjoying it.  Have you thought of adding the tomato by the inclusion of either a Makhani Gravy (Butter Sauce) or a Masala Sauce.  Both of these are very Indian in style and flavour but rich in tomato.  I have recently had some very pleasing results using hybrids of these sauces with base gravy.  The ratios of each can give a lot of control as to the scale of tomato depth.

I used Mridula Baljekar's "The Real Balti" Makhani Gravy which is good.  I believe Chewytikka has a Masala Sauce video or there is a recipe in J & P L:ardner's Balti book.  I'm sure you wont struggle to find a good Indian Tomato sauce.

Of course it may be something as simple as using Campbell's Tomato Soup concentrate which I understand was common in BIR kitchens for that authentic taste.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 06:49 PM »
Livo

Yes I had thought of using tomato soup or tomato puree dilute. I did 't have any soup so used the ketchup with no sugar to give some sweetness. It's quite good fun trying to experiment and work out a clone recipe.

S

littlechilie

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 10:26 AM »
Stephen, this looks absolutely delicious and thanks for sharing. It

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 12:24 PM »
Stephen, this looks absolutely delicious and thanks for sharing. It

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 05:10 PM »
Livo

Yes I had thought of using tomato soup or tomato puree dilute. I did 't have any soup so used the ketchup with no sugar to give some sweetness. It's quite good fun trying to experiment and work out a clone recipe.

S

I've always  wondered what Nentara tastes like Stephen. I've also clocked cases of Heinz tomato soup in various places, so they must be using it somewhere.

ELW

©2024 Curry Recipes