Author Topic: Mazedar plain paratha, or when DIY just doesn't make sense ...  (Read 1841 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Since starting to eat regularly at Mrs Bari's Golden Temple, I have become rather addicted to her paratha, one reason being that her rice portions are just so huge that I cannot manage one whereas I can manage two paratha quite easily !  Anyhow, I decided to try to replicate them, and it soon became clear that what she makes are Kerala paratha (i.e., formed into a spiral and then rolled out again).  I had several goes at replicating these, with varying degrees of success, but when we were in Plymouth a few days ago my wife pointed out the very large number of different brands and varieties of frozen paratha, and I decided to try a pack.  Those I chose were Mazedar plain paratha, at
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 07:45 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Mazedar plain paratha, or when DIY just doesn't make sense ...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 06:25 PM »
How are you cooking them? They're far from perfect, but not bad for snacks. My prefered brand.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 07:19 PM »
In a little ghee, in either a non-stick (ceramic) or stainless steel copper-bottom frying pan (24cm).  Enough ghee to stop them sticking when first inserted, no extra ghee after turning, then surplus ghee poured back into the tin while the second side cooks.

** Phil.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 08:02 PM »
Try putting a lid on the pan while cooking, they'll puff up more that way.

If you're ever in Paris have a visit to one of the spit and sawdust places near gare du nord, best parathas outside of Sri Lanka. All hand made in spirals. I've tried and never goy anywhere close.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 09:24 PM »
If you're ever in Paris have a visit to one of the spit and sawdust places near gare du nord, best parathas outside of Sri Lanka. All hand made in spirals. I've tried and never got anywhere close.

I have to confess that my first visit to Gare du Nord rather put me off -- Arabic toilets and over-enthusiastic ladies of the night ![1]  But I will certainly look for street parathas if ever I go that way again ...

** Phil.
--------
[1] Or maybe that was the Gare Saint-Lazare -- rue d'Amsterdam, which is where I was accosted by the ladies of the night, appears to be much closer to the GS-L than the GdN. ...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 09:37 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

©2024 Curry Recipes