Author Topic: How can a curry kit or curry paste possibly make up for no curry base?  (Read 23225 times)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
More trolling Phil?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
The evidence is there for all to see, Garp -- .no response is needed.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 12:24 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Ashoka recipes, on this forum since 2008, Punjabi all day long, using a 3 in 2, in favour of  garlic pre fried g&g paste in the dish, :o using a gravy which could be from anywhere. To be expected from CURRYISNICE, as he has clearly read very little on here before posting. Thought you may have came across this after over a thousand posts though.

ELW

I do know about Ashoka and all the posts on this forum but Ashoka is a chain and will have their trademark flavour.
Pre frying G/G with or without turmeric isn't a standard practice across the board in any part of the UK.
But chuck it all in with the gravy seems the norm in the west of Scotland and that's the flavour I taste and dislike.

P.S.
I thought I got lucky a few years back spotting a staff curry on the menu from the Taj Mahal gourock, but sadly it was the same raw G/G paste coming through again.  ::)

Offline CURRYISNICE

• Chef
    • View Profile
 DalPuri I agree, Im not keen on the G/G taste in the currys in the West of Scotland either. Ive had currys from places between Inverkip to Livingston and Falkirk to Ayr including Glasgow and they all other than a couple have had the G/G taste, Edinburgh I have tried about 6 places there are they did not have the G/G taste, probably because they were Bengali. The rest of Scotland I do not know about though. I mean I am not complaining and if thats what people like in the West of Scotland thats fine but like yourself I don't like it.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Ashoka recipes, on this forum since 2008, Punjabi all day long, using a 3 in 2, in favour of  garlic pre fried g&g paste in the dish, :o using a gravy which could be from anywhere. To be expected from CURRYISNICE, as he has clearly read very little on here before posting. Thought you may have came across this after over a thousand posts though.

ELW

I do know about Ashoka and all the posts on this forum but Ashoka is a chain and will have their trademark flavour.
Pre frying G/G with or without turmeric isn't a standard practice across the board in any part of the UK.
But chuck it all in with the gravy seems the norm in the west of Scotland and that's the flavour I taste and dislike.

P.S.
I thought I got lucky a few years back spotting a staff curry on the menu from the Taj Mahal gourock, but sadly it was the same raw G/G paste coming through again.  ::)

Whether Ashoka is a chain has nothing to do with it, its your idea that Punjabi bir chefs add raw g&g to curries right across the board that's wrong. As there's hardly any Punjabi bir information on this forum, I wonder how you arrived at this idea. Have you been in many Punjabi kitchens? Do the many Pakistani kitchens in th be west of Scotland, Chuck everything  in also?

ELW

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
I have no idea where you get this notion of Punjabi BIR chefs adding raw ginger to a finished dish. Having eaten curries in Scotland, and elsewhere for at least 35 years I have never heard of, or indeed, tasted this.

Its what I have been told by many people including chefs and on this forum too ie DalPuri being one person who also confirmed this. ALso in the West of Scotland most places I have had a curry from I can taste the ginger in the curry and everyone I was with also said they could taste the ginger too.
What chefs told you this?  And seeing you are connected to them, why not get the recipes and methods from them and we can add it to the forum
ELW

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Whether Ashoka is a chain has nothing to do with it, its your idea that Punjabi bir chefs add raw g&g to curries right across the board that's wrong. As there's hardly any Punjabi bir information on this forum, I wonder how you arrived at this idea. Have you been in many Punjabi kitchens? Do the many Pakistani kitchens in th be west of Scotland, Chuck everything  in also?

ELW

I think Ashoka being a chain is very relevant.
Any restaurant chain will employ techniques to make themselves unique and stand out from the run of the mill high street eateries.
Perhaps (in their opinion) pre frying G/G paste is one of them.

I dont need to read anything on a forum, nor do I need to have visited Punjabi kitchens to detect boiled G/G paste. I have taste buds and a good palette.

Pakistani restaurants in my experience do not cater for the western masses. So no, I dont believe they chuck it all in which is why I choose to eat at these place over any Scottish BIR.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile

ELW

I think Ashoka being a chain is very relevant.
Any restaurant chain will employ techniques to make themselves unique and stand out from the run of the mill high street eateries.
Perhaps (in their opinion) pre frying G/G paste is one of them.

I dont need to read anything on a forum, nor do I need to have visited Punjabi kitchens to detect boiled G/G paste. I have taste buds and a good palette.

Pakistani restaurants in my experience do not cater for the western masses. So no, I dont believe they chuck it all in which is why I choose to eat at these place over any Scottish BIR.
I was hoping you would be able to back up your generalization, but as you haven't it will remain your own opinion or idea which is fair enough but incorrect for any forum members reading. I used the Ashoka recipes for a reason as on the face of it  they are legitimate Punjabi bir recipes, of which there are many but not available on here. Your palette test is neither here nor there unfortunately, as is curryisnice

ELW

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile

I was hoping you would be able to back up your generalization, but as you haven't it will remain your own opinion or idea which is fair enough but incorrect for any forum members reading. I used the Ashoka recipes for a reason as on the face of it  they are legitimate Punjabi bir recipes, of which there are many but not available on here. Your palette test is neither here nor there unfortunately, as is curryisnice

ELW

Aren't you doing exactly the same ELW?
You keep using the  Ashoka as though they are representative of the thousands of BIR's in Scotland (which they are not) simply because they're Punjabi.
That would be the same as saying every hamburger restaurant in the states tastes like McDonald's because they're American.  ::)

It also reminds me when I asked the question on here a few years back, Why is there so much turmeric used in BIR?
Curryking replied saying it was a normal amount and that his wife should know because she's Indian.  ;D ::)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
[W]hen I asked the question on here a few years back, Why is there so much turmeric used in BIR?  Curryking replied saying it was a normal amount and that his wife should know because she's Indian.  ;D ::)

I wondered the same when I made the Taz base, but contrary to my expectations there was no trace of an unwanted earthy flavour in the resulting curries at all.  I very much suspect that turmeric and cumin are, in fact, the two invariant ingredients of every curry, to which one can add fenugreek, coriander, chilli, etc., as desired/required.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 08:38 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

©2024 Curry Recipes