Author Topic: How can a curry kit or curry paste possibly make up for no curry base?  (Read 23232 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
The Nepalese, too, add juliennes of fresh ginger to some of their curries.

Just reading the instructions on the back of a packet of Mehran Karahi Gosht Masala, I see that they too recommend adding juliennes of ginger fairly late in the cooking process (after the mutton has become tender) -- the dish is then cooked for a further ten minutes before serving.  Mehran are based in Pakistan.

** Phil.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile

I was hoping you would be able to back up your generalization, but as you haven't it will remain your own opinion or idea which is fair enough but incorrect for any forum members reading. I used the Ashoka recipes for a reason as on the face of it  they are legitimate Punjabi bir recipes, of which there are many but not available on here. Your palette test is neither here nor there unfortunately, as is curryisnice

ELW

Aren't you doing exactly the same ELW?
You keep using the  Ashoka as though they are representative of the thousands of BIR's in Scotland (which they are not) simply because they're Punjabi.
That would be the same as saying every hamburger restaurant in the states tastes like McDonald's because they're American.  ::)

It also reminds me when I asked the question on here a few years back, Why is there so much turmeric used in BIR?
Curryking replied saying it was a normal amount and that his wife should know because she's Indian.  ;D ::)

I'm using the Ashoka as an example as its something to point at regarding your idea. I never said Ashoka restaurants were representative of anything in terms of Punjabi bir in the West of Scotland. They don't even have the same flavour across their own restaurants, I'm not sure this can even  be done when cooking individual curries.
Whilst on the Ashoka recipes, if you look at the quantities of g&g used , that might point to why you don't like the the curries here. And if you have the time compare this to the many Bengali bir recipes(not the gravies) on here and you may have your
 answer, garlic paste, or chopped garlic and no ginger at all in the curry, for certain dishes.

As for Pakistani restaurants not catering for western palates, a relative newcomer was top of Trip Advisor for "Indian restaurant" in Glasgow city centre, for a couple of years. I've never saw anyone of Asian descent in there in my life.Who are they catering for you reckon?
Finally the most well known Pakistani restaurant in Glasgow, possibly Scotland, claims to have ' invented the tikka masala"
Bull or not, If that's not catering for Western palates, I don't know what is.
ELW

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
I'm using the Ashoka as an example as its something to point at regarding your idea. I never said Ashoka restaurants were representative of anything in terms of Punjabi bir in the West of Scotland. They don't even have the same flavour across their own restaurants, I'm not sure this can even  be done when cooking individual curries.
Whilst on the Ashoka recipes, if you look at the quantities of g&g used , that might point to why you don't like the the curries here. And if you have the time compare this to the many Bengali bir recipes(not the gravies) on here and you may have your
 answer, garlic paste, or chopped garlic and no ginger at all in the curry, for certain dishes.

As for Pakistani restaurants not catering for western palates, a relative newcomer was top of Trip Advisor for "Indian restaurant" in Glasgow city centre, for a couple of years. I've never saw anyone of Asian descent in there in my life.Who are they catering for you reckon?
Finally the most well known Pakistani restaurant in Glasgow, possibly Scotland, claims to have ' invented the tikka masala"
Bull or not, If that's not catering for Western palates, I don't know what is.
ELW

Here you go again with the same argument.
Just because the owner might be from Pakistan, doesn't make his restaurant a Pakistani restaurant.
What were you and all the other non asians in for?
Nihari or haleem?
Perhaps some paya?
People don't go to a Pakistani restaurant for chicken tikka masala.  ::)

As for the garlic and/or ginger, it has nothing to do with the amount. I always overload my own curries and the taste is fine because I fry it.
I know the difference between fried and boiled and I also have no problem adding juliennes of ginger late on.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
There is something on this forum that's shows a chuck it all in method, but it was nothing like I saw a fortnight ago when the chef fried the garlic and ginger in an open kitchen as I waited on my food ::)

This is getting like the recent Richard Madeley / Gavin Williamson interview
Let us know when you can back up your idea please, and I'll stand corrected

ELW
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 10:23 PM by ELW »

©2024 Curry Recipes