Author Topic: Brick Lane buying advice  (Read 3915 times)

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Brick Lane buying advice
« on: July 15, 2018, 09:55 AM »
I'm taking the other half on a trip to Oxford St and want to pop down to brick lane while I'm there because I've run out of a few things which I can't buy close to home.  Brick lane looks quite long on the map and I've never been, so which tube station would you use to get to a decent Indian supermarket which would sell Mr Naga,
Kalongi seeds, & Laziza Tikka botti paste ?

Offline vinotinto

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Brick Lane buying advice
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 07:33 AM »
I went to Brick lane recently and I am not sure I saw many (if any) Indian supermarkets although someone may correct me.  If you want to go there Aldgate is the closest, but if you get off at Liverpool street you can visit Spitalfields market as well if that floats your boat

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 08:30 AM »
I live very close to Brick Lane and the best mini supermarket is Taj Stores which is close to the juction with Hanbury Street. I dont think you'll find Laziza Tikka botti paste.

London.

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 08:45 AM »
Thanks for your answers guys. I just assumed Brick Lane would be the best place to shop, but maybe I've jumped to the wrong conclusion. If you were in central London and wanted to shop for curry supplies, where would you head to?  I wouldn't want to go all the way out to Southall, so hopefully there is somewhere fairly central which I can get to easily on the tube from Marble Arch.

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 09:24 AM »
Taj Stores should have everything you need from spices to cookware except the Laziza Tikka botti paste,

London.

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 04:03 PM »
Marble Arch to Liverpool Street by tube ( Central Line) 13 mins than a 10 min walk to brick lane.

London.

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 07:09 PM »
Thanks London

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 01:01 PM »
As london says, the 'Taj Stores' is your best bet - this is the shop I always visit for spices if I am in the area. Incidentally, I've looked in here for Laziza Tikka Botti paste recently and had no luck - in fact none of the shops on Brick Lane seem to stock it unfortunately.

An alternative to Taj Stores is Bangla Town (https://goo.gl/maps/NWqzk9triRU2) which is close by. Their selection is very good also.

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 02:59 PM »
Thanks Ramirez, I'll certainly make use of that info. It's a shame about the Tikka botti as that is the single most important item for me to find, as it does make for a lovely tandoori chicken.

Nice way to sneak back into the forum btw, welcome back!  8)

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 04:52 PM »
Thanks - I pop in from time to time.  ;D

I'd be interested if anyone knows where in London Laziza Tikka Botti paste can be bought. I only ever see the powders/masalas from Laziza.

©2024 Curry Recipes