• December 18, 2018, 06:02 PM
Welcome, guest! Please login or register.
collapse

* RGBD

Author Topic: Coconut oil is 'pure poison', says Harvard professor  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
  • A closed mind is a would-be chef's worse enemy.
    • The Westberry Hotel & Restaurant
Coconut oil is 'pure poison', says Harvard professor
« on: August 23, 2018, 08:25 AM »
Sigh.  And I'd just started using it for my curries.  Source here.
** Phil.
Ogham's law :  The intellectual content of any message is inversely proportional to the number of emoticons that it contains..

Online Bhaji Bob

• Trainee Chef
Re: Coconut oil is 'pure poison', says Harvard professor
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 10:43 AM »
Yes, sigh indeed Phil.  I thought it was OK too and use it mainly for stir-fries which I find helpful with weight control.  Thanks for putting the
link in.  Back to the drawing board then!

Bob

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 11:11 AM »
Well, I fully expect that a non-Harvard professor will say exactly the opposite in a week or two, so I don't propose to stop using it immediately !
Ogham's law :  The intellectual content of any message is inversely proportional to the number of emoticons that it contains..

Online vinotinto

• Chef
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 08:07 AM »
The high fat / cholesterol / heart disease hypothesis is not so cut and dry - but its useful for selling statins.  Check out Dr Malcolm Kendrick amongst others who delve into the data used to justify these claims but come to different conclusions.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 09:14 AM »
Thank you VT.  I like his approach. (This ... is my best effort at providing some balance to the increasingly strident healthcare lobby that seems intent on scaring everyone about almost everything. Is there a foodstuff that is safe to eat anymore? Is there any activity that does not cause cancer or heart disease?)

Clearly a man after my own heart — I cook most Western food in dripping, the butter I put on hot-cross buns and teacakes is about 1/4" thick minimum, I use Jersey cream in coffee and drink gold-top milk. and add about 2oz caster sugar to every bowl of strawberries ...

** Phil.

Offline foureyes1941

• Chef
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 10:44 AM »
Hi, just curious Phil, as a retired fitness Instructor are you overweight with your diet or do you jog everywhere to keep yourself nice and trim? lol
Anita

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 02:06 PM »
I'm 71 years of age, 6' tall, about 12 stone in weight.  I cycle (lightweight, on-road) occasionally, but that's the only real exercise I take, lawn-mowing excepted, although I used to play table-tennis once or twice a week and ride horses.  I also frequently eat two or three 38 gm tubes of Smarties a day ...

** Phil.

Offline tempest63

• Indian Master Chef
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 07:19 PM »
I’ve had Crohn disease for 45 years and the latest thinking is that Coconut oil and ghee are better for the lining of the gut. My cholesterol is so low (below 2.0) that it is not measurable on the little gadgets in the surgery and has to be sent off for measuring.
Like Phil I have lived through the “this is good for you or this is bad for you” only for the subject matter to become the best thing for health some years later.
A balanced diet with natural foods has to be the best choice.

Offline Babysunface

• Trainee Chef
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 05:11 PM »
Everything in moderation I say!

There's always a new bandwagon to jump on and somebody wanting  to chime in on the latest health food fad. It happened with matcha, honey, coconut oil, acai, turmeric etc. etc. etc.

Reminds me of the headlines about toast and tomatoes giving people cancer!  :o

Offline Ghoulie

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Indian Master Chef
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 04:48 PM »
anything coconut - especially in curries is too sweet for me
nil carborundum illegitimi

You may like these posts on curry-recipes.co.uk: