Author Topic: rump steak  (Read 4579 times)

Offline marybakers

• Chef
    • View Profile
rump steak
« on: October 10, 2018, 08:23 PM »
Can I use rump steak in an indian curry and much appreciated if anyone has any recipes,needs
to be mild ones without the chillies.I have made a batch of the base curry and want to know what
spices I can add for the beef curry.thanks

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: rump steak
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 09:23 PM »
No reason I can think of not to use rump steak if you have some to hand; the only thing to remember is that beef tends to soften, then firm, then soften again when cooked, so you are either going to have to cook it fairly quickly or leave it to stew, nothing in-between.  As for spices, turmeric, cumin, coriander and perhaps fenugreek,would be my choice for a mild curry.  I have never cooked a curry without any chillies, so I can't vouch from personal experience as to how it might work out ...

** Phil.

Offline marybakers

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 05:23 PM »
thanks for the info cheers

Online tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 08:27 PM »
I used to cook Collops, a Scots recipe that had thin slices of steak cooked in a sauce. It might give you some idea of cooking times if you can find something similar.
If I happen across the recipe I

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 08:39 PM »
There would be no reason you couldn't use rump in a curry, but I probably wouldn't for two reasons. Rump is better cooked on a barbecue or grill or when roasted as a whole piece. Secondly, there are cuts of beef that make better curry and are cheaper. Chuck, blade or gravy / shin beef when slow or pressure cooked make good curry. It's not quite as bad as eye fillet or sirloin used in a curry but not far short.  Borderline decision for me. If I really wanted a curry and all I had was rump, I guess I could do it but I probably wouldn't.

©2024 Curry Recipes