Author Topic: Turn up the heat baby  (Read 9618 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Turn up the heat baby
« on: October 30, 2018, 06:24 AM »
I had to go to Sydney today so I did a little shopping.  I learnt straight up that it gets pretty hot so I'll need to learn to drive it. Yep. That's 964 "F after only 3 or 4  minutes with the lid on and I pulled the probe out before it melted.  The gas has a primary regulator that needs to be barely cracked so you can get wall temp down to 400"F by adjusting with the burner taps.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Turn up the heat baby
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 06:34 AM »
Also managed to obtain a set of skewers and an Ali frypan (finally). Plus some Laziza boxes (finally) and some fresh pappadums.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 07:21 AM »
Clearly a very successful trip, Livo

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 10:30 AM »
Steep learning curve ahead I think. I dare say it won't be long before I realise I want a clay oven but this will have to suffice for now. It was an interesting and busy day with some 300 odd km travelled and some culturally diverse areas visited. I have taken some chicken out of the freezer so a few hours marinating tomorrow and a test run is in order.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 03:03 PM »
Would it, I wonder, accept a puddled fire-clay liner ?

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 07:31 PM »
For what it cost me Phil, I'll probably just use it as is for a while and be on watch for a clay oven. I ended up paying about $260 for the tandoor and everything else for the day. This Pakistani steel tandoor normally sells for $320 new if you can find one. They are quite cheap and not well made so really it probably isn't worth the trouble.
First thing today, after marinating the chicken, is to make up some type of steel baffle plate to sit in the bottom. I think it is meant to have one. The guy I ended up buying the skewers from is a retired tandoor chef who has just closed down and sold 4 restaurants and a home delivery Indian food business. He advised me to put one in and use charcoal in conjunction with the gas to obtain better flavours. He is selling 3 commercial clay tandoor but they are far too big for my needs.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 10:32 AM »
Here are some pics of my first day ever using a Tandoor.  While it worked out pretty well there is a bit to learn.
Punjabi kababs, Tandoori Chicken legs (Chewy's recipe  :D) and Naan, plain and cheese (SAF Buttermilk recipe).  I used charcoal in the tandoor as well as the gas so the flavour and aroma was amazing.  I can still smell it on my clothes.  The missing smell from the restaurants is the Tandoor.  I now have it at home.

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 03:49 PM »
All your efforts look lovely, I'd really like to have a tandoor, but I live on the 3rd floor and only have a balcony :( :( :(

London.

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 04:09 PM »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 07:22 PM »
The internet is riddled with plant pot tandoor designs and instructions. I don't recall where I read it but a few years back I saw something that said using pots could expose you to unknown heavy metals and other contaminates. If you go to the local nurseryman and ask him what's in the terracotta pots, he won't be able to tell you. I could have made one of these but decided not to. Still, I've never read about anyone dying or becoming I'll from using a homemade tandoor.

©2024 Curry Recipes