Author Topic: Turn up the heat baby  (Read 9744 times)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Turn up the heat baby
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 09:29 PM »
Excellent,  ;)  Livo,
Joining the Home Tandoori Club.
A totally different way of high heat cooking, loads of fun!

Your photos show it was well worth your investment in time
and money. A bonus, with its handy size and a simple horizontal
rack fitted, it will do great Pizza.  :D

cheers Chewy

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 10:32 PM »
All your efforts look lovely, I'd really like to have a tandoor, but I live on the 3rd floor and only have a balcony :( :( :(

London.

This tandoor would easily fit on even a quite small balcony. The outside container doesn't get real hot either as there is a layer of insulation.  It is smaller than a 5 kg washing machine and only weighs about 25 kg, plus it's on casters.  One person can carry it but it's bulky.  Easy carry for 2 people with a handle on each side.

If you can find this brand in the UK, I believe it comes in 3 sizes although this page only shows 2.
http://canonshop.pk/product-tag/canon-gas-home-tandoor-gtn-50/

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 05:15 PM »
If you can find this brand in the UK, I believe it comes in 3 sizes although this page only shows 2.http://canonshop.pk/product-tag/canon-gas-home-tandoor-gtn-50/

I don't know whether your particular model can be found in the UK, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that a conventional (albeit domestic) model can be obtained in the U.K. for (just) less than
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 06:55 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 07:48 PM »
The steel cooker Pakistani tandoor I have (if it is a tandoor by definition), are mass produced over there and are shipped anywhere depending on market demand and someone being prepared to arrange import. I made inquiry and I could have had 1 (or more) sent to me apparently.

That price for a clay tandoor is much better than over here. The size of the industry and Indian population in the UK must be the driving market force that puts downward pressure on prices. Supply and Demand. I would expect to pay at least double, probably more, for similar.

The square models are so bulky but I understand the benefit of the shape when fitted into a commercial kitchen.  For my purpose of portability I prefer the cylindrical drum shape.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Big cook on tomorrow.
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 09:49 AM »
Well tomorrow I'll be giving the new tandoor and the new Ali curry pan a proper test run.  Today was spent in preparation with 2 kg of pre-cooked chicken breast, 1.5 kg of pre-cooked lamb and a batch of pre-cooked vegies.  I've got 4 tandoori chicken legs in the marinade and a 1 kg batch of Laziza Tikka thigh fillets marinating as well.  I've made 2 different batches of Naan dough (9 big ones in total) and I have defrosted a batch of the Shish Kababs I made last week.  Yesterday I made a Palak Paneer from homemade paneer and I've already cooked a batch of Pilau rice this evening.

I'll have to see how I go for time but I'm planning on a mixed veggie and paneer curry, 2 lamb curries, 4 or 5 chicken curries including some of the tikka as a CTM, the tandoori chicken legs, tikka and kababs, naan, poppadums, raita and salad.  I may even get a couple of samosa happening.  My biggest problem is that I'm expecting nobody for dinner.  :o  It's Thursday.  Crazy man.  Me and the missus and maybe a kid or 2 (adults who'll no doubt want to eat Mexican or Italian instead of curry).  But why have a tandoor and a new curry pan otherwise? I just have to do it.

I'll be putting up some pics tomorrow.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 02:56 PM »
Livo - I will be interested to compare notes with your tandoor experiences because my tandoor is near-identical to yours, As I said in another thread about cooking naans, it struck me as too risky to put naans in there because of the intense heat, But you managed it, so I'm well impressed.

Bobdylan

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 04:37 PM »
Good luck with your grand feast, also thanks for your welcome post.  Livo I will look forward to your photo diary.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2018, 10:35 PM »
George, I have a fair tolerance to heat and cold, although I've had a few burns and as I get older I'm not too fond of cold any more.  I'll be testing the tandoor today and providing pics.

No worries Bob. Here is the first pic of the Navratan (Nine Gems) Korma. Pre-cooked veggies, fried paneer (home-made), and cashew nuts in a tomato cream sauce mildly spiced.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Laziza Chicken Tikka
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2018, 11:29 PM »
How good is this stuff?  Half of this will go into a CTM in a little while.  It is so hard to not just eat it.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2018, 12:11 AM »
Misty Ricardo CTM done. Delicious. 

Obligatory Mango Chicken.  Cracked it.  Less Mixed Powder, Extra Mango plus Jaggery. The big thing is the Aluminium pan with enough heat to dissolve the Almond powder ( ;) CT comes through with the good oil yet again) .

Chicken Madras (Mangal Kashmiri Masala and my own Balti paste).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 02:22 AM by livo »

©2024 Curry Recipes