Author Topic: Turn up the heat baby  (Read 9613 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Butter Chicken
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2018, 03:11 AM »
Well that's the end of the chicken dishes, except, I went to the shop and bought another 2 kg of breast fillet because that Laziza Tikka marinade is so good and I couldn't waste it. I've cut another 1 kg  into 14 pieces to go in the tandoor later this arvo with the Tandoori legs and shish kababs.

This one is Butter chicken which is a favourite of my No1 daughters partner. There are a couple of dishes that just have to be there every time.  Slightly different this time as I'd run out of Pre-cooked breast so this one is a more traditional cook.  Still pretty good though.

Well that's the inside wet cooking done. A Balti Lamb Korma and a spicy Rogan Josh.  I might try some Chicken 65 if I get time, but it's outside to the Tandoor oven for now.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 04:12 AM by livo »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Kababs
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2018, 06:48 AM »
Here's some pics of the Kababs. I'm running out of ticker. Long day.  That's ticker not Tikka.

They are just as good defrosted from frozen as they were the other day fresh.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
More Tikka and Tandoori Legs
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2018, 06:52 AM »
Here is the second batch of Laziza Tikka (breast this time) and the Tandoori legs that have been marinating since yesterday.  The tikka is so juicy. I hope you can see it in the photo.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Turn up the heat baby
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2018, 06:57 AM »
I don't think I'll be posting any more this arvo. The rest of my afternoon will be taken up finishing and serving. I've invited a few other drop-ins over to eat the spoils.  I'll photograph the naan but you've seen naan before. So far, a 9 hour day in the kitchen with an hours break for a trip to the shop for more chicken, garlic and lemon juice. That's on top of all day yesterday doing the pre-cooks etc.  Curry is hard work, but it is delicious. ;D

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2018, 07:27 AM »
Another Herculean effort! Wow! No messing when you put your mind to doing something! Looks delicious!

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2018, 08:44 AM »
Your food looks great Livo and your enthusiasm is infectious - it's what this forum needs at the moment.

How did you prepare the Laziza Tikka marinade? I've only ever bought the premade Laziza botti marinade on a jar, but this is not so easy to find in shops whereas the packet mixes seem to be more readily available.  It's good that you achieved a result you were happy with.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2018, 11:12 AM »
Well we made a pretty big hole in the food but there is plenty more. I'm a bit tired so I'll answer in detail tomorrow Sverige about the tikka. Thanks Naga. It was all delicious but I still keep coming back for the Balti lamb korma

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2018, 08:55 PM »
Some cracking looking curries being produced there, Livo. Good stuff and thanks for sharing.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2018, 09:54 PM »
Thanks Garp. The curries were all delicious and I'm now really pleased with the level of proficiency I'm achieving. They must have been OK because there wasn't a whole lot left over. 
One thing that doing a big cook like this does is illustrate the ability of full-time restaurant and T/A staff. To be able to churn this stuff out at high quality would take a lot of skill, particularly so in the smaller operations with low staff numbers. I had the luxury of time which they don't have.  Of course a commercial kitchen would help.  I think I had to wash up about 10 times over the course of 2 days.

Sverige, to answer your question, the Laziza Chicken Tikka Masala (Spice Mix) comes in a box of 100gms in 2 individual pouches, I think it cost me about AUD$3.00.  The instruction on the back says to use:
1.5 kg of chicken pieces scored in criss-cross pattern,
1 Tbsp of Ginger Paste and
8 Tbsp of Lemon juice for
1 packet of spice mix. 

I didn't read the box very well and dumped a whole packet on about 1 kg of Thigh fillets. (It didn't matter and they were just a little bit spicy).  I also included some garlic and a little yogurt in the marinade to make it a bit more clingy. The instruction tells you to brush with butter / ghee / oil while rotating during the grill process.  I didn't as I cooked them in the tandoor.  I'm assuming this instruction is for a horizontal grill / bbq.  After I'd cooked my first batch of thigh there was still plenty of marinade left so I put the kg of breast fillet in and they were fine so I would say 1/2 a packet is suitable for 1 kg of chicken quite adequately, so it's pretty affordable and easy.

Of course there would be no reason that this spice powder could not be used in conjunction with more elaborate Tikka recipes or in a Tandoori Chicken marinade. I'll be getting some more of it as I only bought 1 box to try.

Modify PS:  The Balti Lamb Korma I refer to as my pick is just so reminiscent of Korma I used to enjoy from a particular restaurant 30 years ago. I loved it back then and this recipe is just so close. It was also my wife's favourite out of the batch both times I've cooked it.  I've only made it twice now and it will be my turn to Korma recipe every time moving forward.  I use the Misty Ricardo eBook pre-cooked lamb and then follow the Birmingham Balti Co "The Balti Secrets" book recipe for Lamb Korma Balti  to the letter. page 78.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 10:05 PM by livo »

Bobdylan

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2018, 06:19 AM »
Congratulations on your cooking marathon Mr Livo, you clearly have worked very hard i do hope you enjoyed your rewards. In particular I was very excited to see and hear all about your newly improved Naan bread recipe. Do you have any you could share please?

©2024 Curry Recipes