Author Topic: Prawn Biryani.  (Read 1418 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Prawn Biryani.
« on: November 16, 2018, 06:15 AM »
Tonight's dinner but on a slightly smaller scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU9E-CDCHQg
(Too many ads)

I've added some Barramundi as well.
Delicious.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 06:31 AM by livo »

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Prawn Biryani.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 07:21 AM »
looks like a successful recipe - do you rate that YouTube channel? It looked a bit, um, fake to me. Quite a commercial filming style with a brand name bag of rice to the forefront and an old guy who seemed chosen for his wisened appearance more than his cooking ability. The way he cut the onion so clumsily and then burned the whole spices on too much heat - is this guy really an experienced cook?

Sorry I know I sound grumpy and I don't know the back story of that YouTube channel at all, just my first impression.

Mind you, your pics look good, so no doubt it's a useful recipe.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Prawn Biryani.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 09:45 AM »
I didn't follow that recipe as it really wasn't one. It was just a video I stumbled upon while looking for an actual recipe to follow.  Mind you what I did end up doing wasn't too dissimilar.
I was just amused by the laid back approach this video took in being filmed under a tree in a cow field, as opposed to the TV studio kitchen widely used in Indian videos. I'll find the video recipe I did use and post it but as I said, it's very similar actually. Ingredients and method that is, but on a reduced scale.

I used this video as a guide to the Biryani I made last night. It was pretty much as described but without the clams and using Barramundi instead of kingfish.  I had to use mint jelly as I didn't have any fresh mint leaves.  I cooked in an enamelled cast iron casserole in the oven for about 15 minutes on medium heat, after assembly on the gas stove.  Very nice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjfBjtvCTWM
If you compare it to the Grandpa kitchen one you'll see there is a lot of similarity. (Except for the absence of cute calf and cow tied to a tree). I'm glad the Grandpa Kitchen video didn't show them peeling all of the prawns.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 12:00 AM by livo »

©2024 Curry Recipes