Author Topic: Mexican today  (Read 3205 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Mexican today
« on: November 19, 2018, 10:51 PM »
Well yesterday was "Chinese Day" and my family is a bit over Tandoor cooking and curries  ::) so today is now "Mexican Day".  8)
Breakfast was a very nice Huavos Rancheros. Pan fried flour tortillas, spread with microwave warmed refried beans, 2 sunny side up fried eggs, topped with fried tomato salsa and bacon, garnished with sliced avocado and sprinkled with tasty cheddar cheese.  A sprinkle of pink salt and some fresh ground black pepper.   Yummy.   ;D  This should really be done on corn tortillas but I didn't have any.

I'll see if my family want to have chicken burritos and beef tacos for dinner tonight, if they are home.  I'll probably skip lunch today after 2 big breakfasts in a row and several bowls of Chow Mein yesterday for lunch and dinner.  Might have to imbibe 1 or 2 Coronas, being Mexican Day.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Mexican today
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 11:49 PM »
Careful, Livo, you'll wake up one morning and find a wall around your property if Mr Trump learns of your very dubious culinary interests !

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 01:20 AM »
That would prevent me from needing to repair fences to keep horses in. 
I'm about to go to the shops to find some brightly coloured, freshly painted old recycled timber dining furniture, a new sombrero, a jorongo and some fat cigars. Arriba arriba yeppa yeppa yeeha andale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9kh7pPj7bE

Ended up doing Barbeque Chicken Fajitas and Crispy Lemon Chicken soft Tacos served with sour cream, guacamole, garden salad and salsa.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 10:19 AM by livo »

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 12:16 PM »
Sounds quite the little feast you had there Livo, well done. I do like Mexican food myself, and made a few from this lady, she is Mexican and her old man is Korean, so she cooks both.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCehYu6vFoOvu1MVPW24pUbQ

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 07:50 PM »
I like the fact that, like Indian, the use of spices and chilli in Mexican food ensures a flavour sensation. I was brought up in 1960s Australia where, for most Anglo Saxon families, it was very much meat and 3 vegetables. I remember my father's surprise the first time I offered him tacos for dinner and explained that you pick it up and eat it with your hands. No knife and fork at dinner. He declined subsequent offerings and just ate the fillings from a plate without the shell.

Thanks for the link Les. I'll be bookmarking the channel. I will be attempting her home made tortilla very soon as I'm a bit of a bread head.

Last night's fajitas were delicious and they are surprisingly easy and quick to prepare, plus they are a great way to use up leftover cooked chicken. The trick to the flavour is in the sauce. The chillies are scorched before being cut up and cooked through the sauce. I used a mix of red cayenne and green halapeno but others would work. Scorching the chillies gives the sauce a delicious smokiness.

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 08:32 PM »
Hi Livo,
I use her soft tortilla recipe quite often, use them instead of nans for my curry's as well, moping up the gravy etc, not hard to do.
Scorching does seem to bring out the flavour, Mama does it with the onions and tomatoes as well ;D

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 09:06 PM »
I didn't end up photographing the meal but I did take a pic of the chillies.  This is how I do them.  Cut in half and thread onto a skewer then hold this moving it back and forth over the gas flame.  Any method of controlled direct heat will do but they must blacken.  These are then roughly skinned and the seeds discarded.  The change in flavour from this little process is amazing.  One of those blowtorches works a treat but mine was down in the shed.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 09:16 PM »
I'm busy today but I think tomorrow may be "Spanish Day".  Spanish scrambled eggs for breaky.
https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/spanish-scrambled-eggs-28818
and a Seafood Paella for dinner.  Squid, prawns and mussels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNBuXsTY15E
 :D

Depending on who's home I may need to do a Chicken Chorizo paella as well.  I love the smoked paprika taste in chorizo sausage.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 11:41 PM »
I love the smoked paprika taste in chorizo sausage.
Then you may well love a dish I ate in La Taberna, Maidstone (Kent)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 01:23 AM »
You had me at "King Prawns cooked in..." Phil!  ;D  Sounds very nice and I'll certainly investigate. 
I've learnt over the years that cooking with wine is fraught with peril, red being even less forgiving of poor selection.  As they say, if you wouldn't drink it, don't use it in cooking.

My Greek heritage friend can really use wine to good effect but I've produced some real clangers.

©2024 Curry Recipes