• December 15, 2018, 07:10 PM
Welcome, guest! Please login or register.
collapse

* RGBD

Author Topic: G'day from Australia  (Read 532 times)

Online livo

• Elite Curry Master
Re: G'day from Australia
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 10:33 AM »
I've cooked Chiccken 65 a few times. I'll find the recipe I used because the packet versions are rubbish in comparison. Indian KFC. Yummo.  It's not really a curry though. At least not normally. It's spicy fried chicken served with a sauce.
Whiskey is the answer, but what was the question?

Offline TikkaTai

• Trainee Chef
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 01:01 AM »
Hi Livo, I'd love to see your recipe! Yes we had it as a starter really, all three of us fed on one portion, it reminded me of popcorn chicken, the Indian version! My friends replicated it a few days later & did a grand job, however as a main course it was quite rich  :)
I am going to try Chicken Tarka Masala tonight. It’s meant to be like Tikka but this is a little ‘otter

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Trainee Chef
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 10:21 PM »
Welcome TikkaTai.

Online livo

• Elite Curry Master
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 11:33 PM »
Hi Livo, I'd love to see your recipe!

I've just done a quick search for "Chicken 65" (using the quotation marks) and there is a recipe on the forum that is pretty much the same as the one I've cooked and enjoyed. Here  The missing quantities are 1/2 tsp.  The sauce from the recipe I used did not use the Chilli Garlic Paste, fresh chillies or lime juice.  Everything else is exactly the same.

The exact recipe I followed is from Chef Vahrehvah Here

He has a couple of slightly different versions. Here and Here

Avoid packet versions of the pre-prepared spice mix. They are nothing like following one of these proper recipes.

If you like fried chicken you should give this recipe a try. Crispy Fried Chicken There is a forum thread about it here.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 11:55 PM by livo »

Offline TikkaTai

• Trainee Chef
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2018, 12:17 AM »
Hi Bob-A-Job, thank you  :)
I am going to try Chicken Tarka Masala tonight. It’s meant to be like Tikka but this is a little ‘otter

Offline TikkaTai

• Trainee Chef
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 12:29 AM »
Hi Livo, the chicken 65 recipe looks good .. a fair bit of faffing around tho. I'll try mastering a few of the 'proper'curries first ......

Talking of which I went to Raj's Corner yesterday, ate first of course! I had 2/3rds chicken Masala with 1/3rd aloo gobi & customary garlic naan YUM  :P I did try the goat a few weeks ago but it wasn't to my liking. Then I waddled next door to collect all my ingredients which were many!

I went to the store at Wallsend but had pretty much got everything I needed From Raj. Did you know there's another store a block up selling Indian stuff? It was closed due to prayer, I had a sticky beak through the window. It wasn't as big as Raj's they had a lot of pots & pans though. I would have liked to see if they had an aluminium pan, next time!

Trying lamb bhuna tonight  ;D

Online livo

• Elite Curry Master
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2018, 01:19 AM »
Was the closed store in Hamilton or Wallsend?  Either way the answer is no, I haven't been to it.  I bought my ali pan at Udaya for about $20. It really does make a difference to cooking your curry. Let me know if you have trouble finding one because I go down to Westmead frequently. 

Check the Hospitality supply places too because they sometimes stock them.

Here's one in Lambton. Reward Hospitality  Available in 3 sizes.

Offline TikkaTai

• Trainee Chef
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 02:09 AM »
Hi Livo,

Thank you so much to the link you sent for the place in Lambton. I'll go there on my next trip to Newcastle. The closed shop was in Wallsend a 5 minute walk up from the one you gave me the address of. They had big pans in the window, couldn't see any frying pans though. Lambton sounds the go & reasonable too!

You may like these posts on curry-recipes.co.uk: