• December 16, 2018, 04:22 AM
Welcome, guest! Please login or register.
collapse

* RGBD

Author Topic: 2kW blenders and curry bases — a cautionary tale.  (Read 164 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
  • A closed mind is a would-be chef's worse enemy.
    • The Westberry Hotel & Restaurant
2kW blenders and curry bases — a cautionary tale.
« on: December 07, 2018, 10:47 AM »
Wanting to try the spiced oil v. no spiced oil comparison discussed recently, I set about making a batch of KD1 base yesterday afternoon.  Once it was properly cooked, I put two litres in my 2kW jug blender, put the top on securely (as I thought) and, for what reason I will never know, pushed the "Pulse" button.  Boiling hot curry base went everywhere, and my wrist was badly scalded.  It took a good couple of hours to get the kitchen walls and surfaces clean, a fair number of things had to be binned, and I spent 1/3 of that time holding my wrist under running cold water.   I repeated the exercise later using at first the lowest power continuous setting, and then the "smoothie" mode and all was fine, so clearly pulse mode in the presence of large chunks of onion, garlic, ginger, etc., is likely to force the contents past the lid seal.  Other with 2kW blenders please note and learn from my stupidity.

** Phil.
Ogham's law :  The intellectual content of any message is inversely proportional to the number of emoticons that it contains..

Online livo

• Elite Curry Master
Re: 2kW blenders and curry bases — a cautionary tale.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 11:05 AM »
Near boiling hot plus agitation results in increased energy and therefore increased pressure.  Hope your not badly hurt Phil. Burns and scalds are very painful.
Whiskey is the answer, but what was the question?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 11:31 AM »
Wrist fine this morning, Livo — many thanks for your concern.  The Red Cross / St John's advice of "hold a burn or scald under cold running water for a minimum of five minutes" is advice better followed than ignored — had I not done so, I fear that I would have had a very painful wrist today ...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 12:21 PM by Peripatetic Phil »
Ogham's law :  The intellectual content of any message is inversely proportional to the number of emoticons that it contains..

Offline Secret Santa

• Ive Had Way too Much Curry
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 10:39 PM »
This is a well known phenomenon Phil. Were you just having a senior moment or have you genuinely never come across this before?
Fighting for truth, justice and the BIR way!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 10:45 PM »
Senior moment, almost certainly caused by the fact that the blender is used more frequently for making mango lassi than it is for making curry base.  So an initial pulse mode (to shatter the ice) is a norm when making lassi, and was inadvertently carried over to making a curry base by a severe lack of mindfulness ...

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Ive Had Way too Much Curry
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 08:06 PM »
Senior moment...

Good to know. I'd have been amazed if it was a new thing to you after all the time you've been on this forum. I recall - vaguely - having done it once, some 35 or so years ago, but that was before recipe writers cottoned on to the hazard and started warning in their books of the perils of blending hot fluids with the lid on. it's no laughing matter when it happens, as you pointed out.
Fighting for truth, justice and the BIR way!

Online livo

• Elite Curry Master
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 08:25 PM »
There is a well known brand of kitchen appliance that uses a heat element and blender. It has been responsible for many serious burn injuries. The same scientific principles apply.
Whiskey is the answer, but what was the question?

You may like these posts on curry-recipes.co.uk: