Author Topic: China Times  (Read 3756 times)

Offline ScottyM

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
China Times
« on: December 09, 2018, 02:37 AM »
Hows everyone!?
Been away for a while.
was working in China and as everything good is blocked there and i am too lazy to mess with VPN and Proxies i just stuck with the chinese sites.

Doesnt look like the Chinese section has had much use but i have plenty of new recipes to drop if anyone is interested.
Going to work my way through new posts and see whats been cracking. Will have a play with some BIR this weekend. Havent eaten it in 2 years!

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: China Times
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 06:26 AM »
Hi Scotty, welcome back - I remember your recipes as being a cut above the average for Chinese, so look forward to you giving us the low down on some more takeaway secrets!

Hope your BIR cooking scratches the itch. Two years without a decent curry must have been hard.  What part of China were you in and how is it there? 

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 12:48 PM »
Welcome back Scotty. There's always interest in Chinese recipes here so post away. Got any good stories to tell from China?

Offline ScottyM

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 01:50 PM »
Thanks boys nice to be back!

I was in hong Kong for a year and Shenzhen and Guangzhou for 6 months.
Only BIR curry i had was in an illegal restaraunt hidden in the Chungking Mansions. An infamous building in Hong Kong. Look it up.

Mainly cantonese and dim sum but learnt some Main Land dishes too.
Definetly prefer cantonese.
Plenty of stories to share, both good and bad,
During the First month in Hong Kong the restaraunt was closed for a private function one night. I Assumed it would be a wedding but it was a huge triad meeting!
A restaraunt full of Drunken gangsters and prostitues gambaling and fighting for attention. It was somthing out of an 80s HK gangster flick LOL
Smoking is supposed to be banned indoors in HK, but i guess not if you are with the right click. The dining room looked like a smoke machine had been running the whole night.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 02:00 PM »

As do I.  So if ever you have the time to write up your versions of siu mai, har kau, king prawn cheung fun and cuttlefish cake, you will be assured of (at least) one very interested and grateful reader !

** Phil.

Offline ScottyM

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 01:00 PM »

As do I.  So if ever you have the time to write up your versions of siu mai, har kau, king prawn cheung fun and cuttlefish cake, you will be assured of (at least) one very interested and grateful reader !

** Phil.

That i can do Phil!
I will add some to the Chinese section this week. Cheung Fun is tricky at home but i can explain a few methods to cook it. You need the right cloth and have to close the holes with a watered down batter before maing the Cheung Fun or it will stick like glue.

But once you have that skill down you can make fresh Ho Fun noodles and Banh Cuon too!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 01:35 PM »
Sounds good to  me, Scotty

Offline ScottyM

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 03:10 PM »

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 04:46 PM »
Love to see some authentic Hunan recipes, plenty of good books on Sichuan cooking but the Hunan is a bit thin on the ground. Nowhere near Hong Kong I know.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 05:51 PM »
Only instant stuff i really eat are the korean ramyun noodles. Bloody addictive !

Your a Star, A fit Lad scoffing Ramyun

Nongshim Shin Ramyun - Gourmet Spicy
I too am completely hooked on these. :P

©2024 Curry Recipes