Author Topic: Anyone using Sous Vide?  (Read 4084 times)

Offline ScottyM

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Anyone using Sous Vide?
« on: December 11, 2018, 05:55 PM »
Just curious if anyone else uses a sous vide? I did pre cooked chicken in mine earlier and turned out very well.
Also did some pre cooked beef which is perfectly tender and juicy.

I use a Sous vide wand called Anova and a vac sealer i purchased on Aliexpress.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone using Sous Vide?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 06:16 PM »
Not I, but there have certainly been discussions of the technique on CR0 in the past; I will try to outlook some ...
Sverige, Paul P, Ben O'Dwyer, ...

** Phil.

Offline Ghost Face

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 07:39 PM »
Yes. Its something I've utilised in the past in a commercial kitchen environment and the results came out very well. What I done initially was to brown the meat first before putting it in the for the long cook. I've just purchased a leg of lamb and going to try and workout the ideal temperatures and times.

Here is a link to some information on the science of meat and the way different aspects that make up the muscle behave at different temperatures.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GbCcJ5yL_78WCYynMXjr3DJiwi1CW_P6/view?usp=sharing

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 08:45 PM »
Perhaps one of you could assist Tikkatai in her inquiry about beef curry disappointment. She is unsure if her problem was the beef or more likely how she used her Glasgow base.

Offline ScottyM

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 12:16 PM »
Yes. Its something I've utilised in the past in a commercial kitchen environment and the results came out very well. What I done initially was to brown the meat first before putting it in the for the long cook. I've just purchased a leg of lamb and going to try and workout the ideal temperatures and times.

Here is a link to some information on the science of meat and the way different aspects that make up the muscle behave at different temperatures.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GbCcJ5yL_78WCYynMXjr3DJiwi1CW_P6/view?usp=sharing

Same here. I use it daily at work but only recently purchased one for home. Didnt think i would have much need for it but i do lots of bulk cooking for my meals and it comes in handy for that. I also buy large cuts of meat and vac pack them for the freezer. handy tool to have.

Offline vinotinto

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 12:46 PM »
Yes I use one, not for curry, but for things like steaks. duck etc its great.  Serious Eats is a good resource for general cooking but with good sections on sous vide

Offline Ghost Face

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 11:10 AM »
I was experimenting with sous vide cooking last night. I butchered a leg of lamb down and isolated the tougher shank part of the leg.
I cooked this in a tomato based curry paste for 11 hours at 60 C.  The texture of the meat was OK but could have done with a few more hours.
I cooled this down so as to experiment with the reheat. With the reheat I added some " Glasgow base".

The curry look and texture was definitely there. The base/Canvas/rhythm was there. What was missing was the the higher notes of flavour  that had been incorporated earlier. I have noticed that when making my own style of Curry paste/sauce these "Higher Tones" Disappear when cooking out the meat.

My conclusion is that I either have to rethink the way that I cook out the curry. Or add a spice blend closer to the actual plating up time to reinvigorate the scents and tastes that have disappeared.

My observations thus far have been that the BIR curry technique is trying to infuse the dish with umami as can be seen in the Base Sauce and if using the Ashoka Onion Paste. Something I noticed on one recipe on youtube was a chef adding condensed milk to his base. This is a great way to add that umami hit into a dish encouraging the Maillard Reaction.  The problem with creating this umami bomb is that everything tends to take on a sweeter taste. 

How to balance this is a question on my mind and how to reintroduce the more complex tones of the spices is another.

Will see how today's development kitchen treats me today

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 11:20 AM »
My conclusion is that I [...] have to [...] add a spice blend closer to the actual plating up time to reinvigorate the scents and tastes that have disappeared.

That is also my belief for long-cooked curries, is supported by much of what I have read in Indian cookery books, and is exemplified by the traditional timing of the addition of garam masala.

** Phil.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 10:04 AM »
Yep i bought an Anova, you can often get them half price for Mothers Day / Fathers day deals, i think its a great tool,
I have cooked pork joints, Lamb Shank, Steaks, boiled eggs, as previously said browning the meat is required, steaks i cook then sear in a really hot pan, then rest before serving.
I modified a Coleman coolbox by drilling a hole in the lid thats a tight fit for the anova, so it keeps in the heat and stops evaporation

©2024 Curry Recipes