Author Topic: How do you know when you are "there" ?  (Read 35315 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: How do you know when you are "there" ?
« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2019, 08:23 PM »
I have found the "other thread" but I shall refrain from posting a link until I have had a chance to check the facts ...
Which I have now done.  It's a pretty messy episode, and I can see no value in posting a link to the thread, but I will send one privately on request.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 09:18 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2019, 10:21 PM »
That's how I read it Phil.  Clearly a divided period of the forum which resulted in the forum dividing.

SS, I read that whole thread yesterday morning and I recall the Cilantro Coriander exchange, among others.  Whether his explanation was plausible for the location and consistent with produce suppliers terminology of the time is unknown to me.  It's there for others to read if they choose.

Anyway, ancient history and as CT said elsewhere, of zero value really.  I'm pleased however, that the actual recipes are out of archives so they are again publicly available for those interested in trying them. Maybe some thoughtful trimming and relocation of those threads is possible 1.

Out of curiosity, I intend on making a sample of his base, in linearly scaled proportional quantity (but Not half. Perhaps a quarter will work).  ;)  I don't require another 5 or 6 litres of base gravy at the moment. I will divide what I make at the end of Stage 1) to keep some as neutral before spicing the remainder.  I'll have to go to the Asian Grocer to get some radish.

1. I'm not suggesting censorship and disposal of the entire threads.  Just extraction of his listed recipes with directly related member comment and recommendations, adjustments etc.  A big job I know.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 05, 2019, 10:04 PM »

"2 teaspoons of chilli in 10 fl oz of sauce is not twice as hot as 1 teaspoon of chilli in 10 fl oz of sauce. This applies to all ingredients and the tastes that they produce

All I can say about that is that the chilli heat is directly attributable to the quantity of capsaicin released into the oil from the chilli. And, all things being equal, a doubling of chilli in the same quantity of oil, cooked the same way, will double the quantity of capsaicin in the oil.

So, unless the taste buds are non-linear in their response to capsaicin (a quick Google did not enlighten me), a doubling of chilli will double the chilli heat. But capsaicin desensitisation is a well known effect that will undoubtedly complicate the effect.

In general I would say that Phil's statement is demonstrably incorrect.

OK, so please consider the following :

Quote from: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0954611114003898
All randomized subjects with at least one follow-up value on the capsaicin test were included in the Intent-to-Treat (ITT) population. A drop-out analysis between subjects excluded from the ITT population versus the ones included was intended on all available baseline data to evaluate whether there were any significant differences. All enrolled subjects who received at least one completed dose of the randomized capsaicin/placebo treatment were included in the safety population. For the primary and secondary analyses of the capsaicin values, logarithmic values of the capsaicin levels were analysed due to the exponential nature of capsaicin doses.

"[T]he exponential nature of capsaicin doses", would, if Ternesten-Hass
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 09:17 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 06, 2019, 08:59 AM »
+1

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2019, 09:49 AM »
Another complicating factor (and one of which I was blissfully unaware)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 10:04 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2019, 06:11 PM »
OK, so please consider the following :

Quote from: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0954611114003898
...For the primary and secondary analyses of the capsaicin values, logarithmic values of the capsaicin levels were analysed due to the exponential nature of capsaicin doses.

"[T]he exponential nature of capsaicin doses", would, if Ternesten-Hass

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2019, 06:18 PM »
As above, the non-linearity is a supposition on your part at this time and not yet proven. So any conclusions you draw from it are currently nullified.

I may address your other points later, Santa, but this one I would like to address now.  I am not seeking to draw conclusions from the supposed non-linearity; I am seeking scientific justifications which might explain it, since I am by no means the only person to believe that twice the base does not require twice the chilli.

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 06, 2019, 06:23 PM »
I am by no means the only person to believe that twice the base does not require twice the chilli.

Are we considering only base sauces? I wasn't aware of that.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 06, 2019, 06:29 PM »
No, I'm using "base" only for simplicity; after all, it is by no means clear that if I normally cook one chicken breast and add three ladles of stock, then were I to cook two chicken breasts I would need to add six.  Rather than getting side-tracked by (important) questions such as this, I wanted to stick to something simpler so we might all be able to reach agreement.

** Phil.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2019, 06:38 PM »
By the way, I am not ignoring your "if I cook two identical curries ..." gedankenexperiment, it's just that my brain hurts every time I try to reconcile it with my own hypothesis ...

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes