• March 25, 2019, 08:57 PM
Welcome, guest! Please login or register.
collapse

* RGBD

Author Topic: "The curry library"  (Read 947 times)

Online livo

• Ive Had Way too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: "The curry library"
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2018, 09:44 AM »
Thanks for your kind offer CarpCarp.  Why circa 1900's.  The first book, "The East Indian Cookery Book was originally written and published in 1981.
https://scroll.in/magazine/870710/to-learn-the-secrets-of-east-indian-food-you-need-to-read-this-rare-committee-written-recipe-book
Not the Indian Cookery book of 1880, of which a pdf file of a photocopied version is available online.
https://www.rarebooksocietyofindia.org/book_archive/196174216674_10152129189386675.pdf
The other 2 were written post 2000 as far as I can see but there is some difficulty in purchase. 

As for particular recipes no, nothing in particular. I have recently been examining the history and production of the East Indian (Bombay) Bottle Masala and was intrigued to read the claims that it is used in many / almost all types of different dishes.  I have tried it (my own best guess formula) in a couple of fish dishes and been well impressed. I'd certainly like to try it in further seafood dishes with prawns and wet fish curry.  I'd also be keen to try the Chicken curry and the very simple Kuddhi. I'd also like to try some lamb dishes from this region.
Whiskey is the answer, but what was the question?

Offline Chilli66

• CR0.co.uk Member
  • Trainee Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2018, 11:46 AM »
Hello Phil,
                  Its been a long time since I visited the forum and just noticed your thread.
The first book I ever bought with regards to BIR was “Curry Secret”, God knows how many years ago now, but I really liked the book. Can you tell me if the “New Curry Secret” has a new base sauce and recipes or is it a bit of a “re-hash”?
Secondly have you ever owned/read the book,  the Authentic Balti Curry: Restaurant Recipes Revealed, by Mohammed Ali Haydor?

Regards,

Pete. 

Online Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
  • "Attention-seeking disorder"—disease of childhood
    • View Profile
    • The Westberry Hotel / Hoi-An Restaurant
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2018, 02:51 PM »
Hallo Pete, and welcome back !

The first book I ever bought with regards to BIR was “Curry Secret”, God knows how many years ago now, but I really liked the book. Can you tell me if the “New Curry Secret” has a new base sauce and recipes or is it a bit of a “re-hash”?

It's not really a re-hash (many of the recipes are new for this edition), but it is KD on something of a health-kick — in The NCS, she eschews generic vegetable oil (which is frequently rapeseed, at least in the U.K.) in favour of olive oil, and modifies the preparation to avoid what some regarded as the unpleasant aroma (while cooking) of her first-generation base.  As I never found her original base unpleasant-smelling, and as I try to avoid health-kicks like the plague, I stick to her original recipes, at least as my primary source of inspiration (i,e., I do modify them in the light of experience and personal preference — see KD-base/PT and KD1/PT for examples of changes I make).

Secondly have you ever owned/read the book,  the Authentic Balti Curry: Restaurant Recipes Revealed, by Mohammed Ali Haydor?

No, I confess I have not.  I am something of a sceptic when it comes to balti cuisine, and the only balti book I own (as far as I am aware) is Mridula Baljekar's Real Balti Cookbook.  Ms Baljekar cites an extremely eminent authority, Dr K T Achaya, in her acknowledgements, and for me that gave her book credibility.  Do you own Mo Haydor's Authentic Balti Curry book, and if so, what is your opinion of it ?

** Phil.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 08:30 PM by Peripatetic Phil »
Ogham's law :  The intellectual content of any message is inversely proportional to the number of emoticons that it contains..

Offline Chilli66

• CR0.co.uk Member
  • Trainee Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2018, 04:25 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply Phil its appreciated. In light of what you said I will stick with the original Curry Secret.
In all honesty when I first came to this forum back in 2011 (I think) I had always used the Curry Secret, which I believe is very good. I joined the forum back then in search of the “Holy Grail”, didn’t we all?

Anyway I ended up adopting CA’s base and some of his recipes which I also thought were very good, and I also experimented with spiced oil and I have to admit I thought it did add something to the end result, maybe a bit more depth, the wife could always tell the difference when I used it.

Anyway I eventually stopped chasing the BIR curry, but I’m back again now. Having realised that you like KD’s base and have modified the latter I think I will start with those once I have re-stocked.

I don’t have a copy of Mo Haydor's Authentic Balti book, I mentioned it because I have seen it mentioned and it had some positive feedback, I just wondered if you had tried it.

Does Mridula Baljekar's Real Balti Cookbook offer a base sauce recipe?

Regards,

Pete

Offline Chilli66

• CR0.co.uk Member
  • Trainee Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2018, 04:32 PM »
I forgot to ask how you rate the Curry Guy's base and recipes?

cheers.

Online livo

• Ive Had Way too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2018, 07:49 PM »
Without checking, there are 2 sauces in Mridula Baljekar's book. A plain and a butter (tomato). Also from my memory, many recipes in the book don't use either of these sauces though, so it is a bit odd that way. However, the recipes I've used so are have made good curries.
Whiskey is the answer, but what was the question?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2018, 08:34 PM »
Does Mridula Baljekar's Real Balti Cookbook offer a base sauce recipe?

Two, Pete — Kadhai gravy (for balties), and Makhani gravy (butter sauce).
** Phil.
Ogham's law :  The intellectual content of any message is inversely proportional to the number of emoticons that it contains..

Online Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2018, 09:17 PM »

To be honest, I found the sheer complexity of his base intimidating — cabbage, carrots, capsicum, garam masala, cumin, fenugreek, coriander : all OTT, to my mind,  But this is an a priori appraisal — I have not actually made his base, and it might be wonderful, for all I know.  There is no chicken Madras recipe that I could see, but his lamb Madras (I use Madras recipes as a benchmark) seems OK, although I query the inclusion of mango chutney.

** Phil.

Offline Chilli66

• CR0.co.uk Member
  • Trainee Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2018, 10:55 AM »
Without checking, there are 2 sauces in Mridula Baljekar's book. A plain and a butter (tomato). Also from my memory, many recipes in the book don't use either of these sauces though, so it is a bit odd that way. However, the recipes I've used so are have made good curries.

Thanks Livo.

Offline Chilli66

• CR0.co.uk Member
  • Trainee Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2018, 11:00 AM »

To be honest, I found the sheer complexity of his base intimidating — cabbage, carrots, capsicum, garam masala, cumin, fenugreek, coriander : all OTT, to my mind,  But this is an a priori appraisal — I have not actually made his base, and it might be wonderful, for all I know.  There is no chicken Madras recipe that I could see, but his lamb Madras (I use Madras recipes as a benchmark) seems OK, although I query the inclusion of mango chutney.

** Phil.

Thanks Phil, much appreciated. just one final question, have you posted any recipes on the forum which you use with your modified KD base?

You may like these posts on curry-recipes.co.uk: