Author Topic: "The curry library"  (Read 7673 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
"The curry library"
« on: December 22, 2018, 07:15 PM »
Fed up with never being able to locate the particular curry-related book that I am seeking, I finally got around to tidying up some of my bookcases.  I now have the majority of my curry-related books on a single shelf, along with some Oriental and some European classics.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 12:22 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: "The curry library"
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 10:20 PM »
I'm surprised to see not even one Pat Chapman book in that lot Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 10:30 PM »
Phil, How do you find "My Bombay Kitchen" by King?  I've looked at it before as a possible addition to my own reference library. I'd be interested to read your appraisal.
The reviews on UC Press appear to be good.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 10:59 AM »
I'm surprised to see not even one Pat Chapman book in that lot Phil.

I never really approved of the fact that PC sought to "monetize" curry (as they say these days) so I did not seek out any of his offerings.

How do you find "My Bombay Kitchen" by King?  I've looked at it before as a possible addition to my own reference library.

It was not at all what I expected (having failed to read any reviews in advance of my purchase) but it is certainly a treasure-chest of near-lost recipes.  I completely failed to appreciate that Niloufer Ichaporia King was writing about Parsi cuisine rather than indigenous Bombay cuisine, so (as you can imagine) the contents came as a complete surprise.  I will be honest and admit that I have not cooked a single recipe from the book, regarding it more as a book for bedtime (i.e., a source of ideas and of interest) rather than one I would keep by my side in the kitchen.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 03:02 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 05:21 AM »
Yes, I gathered that but I enjoy a good read as well as recipes so I may go and buy it.  The books that I really would like to own pertaining to Bombay / East Indian food are out of print and will prove to be very difficult to obtain, if not impossible.
https://www.amazon.in/East-Indian-Cookery-Book/dp/B01FK0ND0S
https://bombayeastindianbooks.wordpress.com/east-indian-cookbook/

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 11:00 AM »
There may be hope :
E.I.Cookery Book- Reprint Edition
Much to the surprise of nobody, the highly in-demand East Indian Cookery Book suddenly got sold out and we were left with no stocks.Afreshly conceived EI Cookery Book is in the offing, but till this revised and elaborate Cookery Book goes into print, the BEIAmanaging committee on the advice of the CookBook committee decided to go in for a Reprint. Copies of the same will be available at the BEIA HelpDesk this month and we Thank our Book lovers for standing by us and for constantly demanding stock. The BEIA in its continuous attempts to preserve its traditional and historical identity realises that in spite of the Internet, WhatsApp and what-have-you, written recipes are what puts food on the table. We have been associated with the conception of this cookery book for decades now and it
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 11:27 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 11:52 AM »
Thanks for posting that link. I hadn't seen it. Who would've thought the banana fritter was East Indian? I'll bet my old uncle Many never knew but he sold hundreds if not thousands of them. I'm looking forward to making the chicken kuddhi now that I have a passable bottle Masala. I do hope there is a reprint.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 04:27 PM »
Great post Phil. I have quite a few of these texts myself.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 04:50 PM »
Thank you Stephen.  I keep find other curry books in odd places, so I may update the photograph at some point, but it's close enough for now ...

CarpCarp

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2018, 02:54 AM »
Yes, I gathered that but I enjoy a good read as well as recipes so I may go and buy it.  The books that I really would like to own pertaining to Bombay / East Indian food are out of print and will prove to be very difficult to obtain, if not impossible.
https://www.amazon.in/East-Indian-Cookery-Book/dp/B01FK0ND0S
https://bombayeastindianbooks.wordpress.com/east-indian-cookbook/

Livo, do you have a preference for a particular circa 1900s recipe? Maybe I can help.

Nice collection Phil.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 08:29 AM by CarpCarp »

©2024 Curry Recipes