• January 18, 2019, 10:22 AM
Welcome, guest! Please login or register.
collapse

* RGBD

Author Topic: Post Brexit TA closures.  (Read 597 times)

Offline prawnsalad

• Chef
Post Brexit TA closures.
« on: December 27, 2018, 02:00 AM »
Firstly opening a thread in which people shout insults at each other is not my aim here. I understand all media is to some degree prejudice but as someone who found the decision to vote remain a very easy one I wanted to post this link for anyone who was not aware of the coming problem.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-curry-industry-brexit-staff-shortages-bangladesh-catering-association-a8677911.html

Just to reiterate the damage is pretty much done so we should probably all make the effort to ask those questions we were getting around to at our local TA's as there will be without a doubt far less of them in the near future.

Online livo

• Elite Curry Master
Re: Post Brexit TA closures.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 09:22 AM »
Well that looks pretty grim. I have to say that as an outsider looking in, I never expected Brexit to be as easy as some would have had us all believe.  The big problem is that something like Brexit or the Greek collapse or the Irish banks affects the whole global economy. My little piece of the action is dependent upon what happens over there. 

Indian takeaway folding is not as important as the rift between the Duchesses though. Heaven forbid Katherine doesn't get along with, ? her name eludes me. Harry's wife. What's here name. There are still photos of her in an extusive leg up yoga position.  Not very royal at all.

I know as Aussies we can't make any claim to political stability, but really? Boris? He looks like an older version of a tennis player and probably not as smart. Somebody tell him what a hair brush is for.
Whiskey is the answer, but what was the question?

Online livo

• Elite Curry Master
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 09:41 AM »
But really. is it going to happen?  The vote initially was tainted by the claims that people voted for Brexit just for the "shock value" and never expected it to win.  It did and everybody shat themselves.  The Prime Minister resigned.  The new one has had no joy.  The Irish border isn't going away.  A new vote will be seen as a deliberate abuse.  You guys cant win from here no matter where the chips fall.  It's ugly.
Whiskey is the answer, but what was the question?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
  • A closed mind is a would-be chef's worse enemy.
    • The Westberry Hotel & Restaurant
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 10:10 AM »
I voted remain.  Whilst the EU is by no means perfect, it is a bloc of which I am proud to be a part, and it annoys me that we as a nation refuse to participate in it more fully, retaining our own currency and remaining outside of the Schengen zone, thereby making European travel both more expensive and more difficult than it might otherwise be.  Those whom I know who voted to leave fell into two camps :  the first were those resented the number of Euro-migrants who sought to come to this country, and the second were those who believed that British business would do better if it were not subject to the mandates of Brussels.  With the first group, I simply have no sympathy whatsoever — I have neither time for xenophobia nor sympathy with xenophobics.  The second group are now, I believe, beginning to accept that they may have been mistaken, or at least to have viewed the post-Brexit business scenario through rose-coloured spectacles.  Whilst at the time of the first referendum there was a small majority in favour of leaving Europe, I believe that if a second referendum were to be held today there would be a marked pro-remain swing, and an outcome that was nowhere near as finely balanced as the outcome of the first, perhaps 60:40 or more.  But with a few notable exceptions, this country is not governed by those whose first priority is achieving the best possible outcome for the country — rather, it is governed by those whose first priority is achieving the best possible outcome for (a) themselves, and (b) their political party.  Our whole system of governance is fatally flawed — parliament should be a group of wise men (and women, of course) whom we who elected them could trust to work together for the good of all; instead, parliament consists of a small number of disparate groups (political parties) who seek every possible opportunity to find fault with anything and everything that the other factions have accomplished (or seek to accomplish) and who regard this activity as their primary rôle and duty. 

** Phil.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 06:14 PM by Peripatetic Phil »
Ogham's law :  The intellectual content of any message is inversely proportional to the number of emoticons that it contains..

Offline George

• Ive Had Way too Much Curry
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 06:29 PM »
So project fear has now raised its ugly head on this forum. Can there be any less significant or important aspect of daily life than the future of Indian restaurants? Moreover we haven't yet left yet and can't be sure we ever will so it's far too early to assess what will actually happen. Indian restaurants only have themselves to blame for declining standards and a likely (near-racial) reluctance to take on non-Indian chefs..Also, with the recipes on this forum,it's not exactly essential to use the restaurants any more, is it?

Offline Secret Santa

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 07:47 PM »
Fewer Indian restaurants and takeaways post Brexit means they can pick and choose from the best of the current chefs and waitstaff. So you have fewer but better quality establishments. What's not to like?

And the usual breast beating from the BCA is hardly surprising. Their raison d'être is to continue to populate the restaurants, and by implication this country, with more people like themselves. It fills my heart with joy to find they've been led up the garden path by the Brexiters after openly admitting that they only voted for Brexit to achieve this aim. Suckers!
Fighting for truth, justice and the BIR way!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 10:29 PM »
Crikey, Santa — have you been nobbled by the PC brigade ?  What's with this "waitstaff" nonsense ?  What's wrong with good old-fashioned "waiters and waitresses" ?

** Phil.
Ogham's law :  The intellectual content of any message is inversely proportional to the number of emoticons that it contains..

Offline Secret Santa

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 12:19 AM »
What's with this "waitstaff" nonsense ?

A perfectly acceptable collective noun, surely? Unless you can offer another one ... I'm open to suggestions.
Fighting for truth, justice and the BIR way!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 12:37 AM »
A perfectly acceptable collective noun, surely?
"Acceptable" in North America (the spiritual home of political correctness) only recently, but barely known over here.  The OED says :
Draft additions March 2006

waitstaff  n. chiefly N. Amer. the staff employed as waiters and waitresses in a restaurant (with singular or plural concord).
1981   Washington Post 11 Jan. k52 (advt.)    We are looking for good people to train for the following positions: Cooks Prep Dishwashers..Waitstaff [etc.].
1994   Minnesota Monthly May 61/2   Desserts and pasta don't always click, but the sharp wait staff seldom misses.
2002   E. J. Ridley in R. R. Sims Changing the Way we manage Change vii.135   Waitstaff were given communications training.

Unless you can offer another one ... I'm open to suggestions.
"Waiters and waitresses" (as they have been called for centuries).

** Phil.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 01:00 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline CarpCarp

• Trainee Chef
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 12:41 AM »
Waitstaff/Waiting staff  employment description taking orders and delivery of food. In today’s catering environment it’s commonly known as front of house staff, job description taking orders,delivery of food, bar work, sculpting fancy sounding coffee and can run a bar.
Usually all above is carried out while inserting a broom inside anal cavity to sweep and mopp the floor, stocktake and shine cutlery. Smiling while taking crap from people convinced they are just so so funny after a few drinks is essential. Sorry I left out unqualified therapist.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 12:55 AM by CarpCarp »

You may like these posts on curry-recipes.co.uk: