Author Topic: Post Brexit TA closures.  (Read 6116 times)

Offline prawnsalad

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Post Brexit TA closures.
« on: December 27, 2018, 02:00 AM »
Firstly opening a thread in which people shout insults at each other is not my aim here. I understand all media is to some degree prejudice but as someone who found the decision to vote remain a very easy one I wanted to post this link for anyone who was not aware of the coming problem.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-curry-industry-brexit-staff-shortages-bangladesh-catering-association-a8677911.html

Just to reiterate the damage is pretty much done so we should probably all make the effort to ask those questions we were getting around to at our local TA's as there will be without a doubt far less of them in the near future.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Post Brexit TA closures.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 09:22 AM »
Well that looks pretty grim. I have to say that as an outsider looking in, I never expected Brexit to be as easy as some would have had us all believe.  The big problem is that something like Brexit or the Greek collapse or the Irish banks affects the whole global economy. My little piece of the action is dependent upon what happens over there. 

Indian takeaway folding is not as important as the rift between the Duchesses though. Heaven forbid Katherine doesn't get along with, ? her name eludes me. Harry's wife. What's here name. There are still photos of her in an extusive leg up yoga position.  Not very royal at all.

I know as Aussies we can't make any claim to political stability, but really? Boris? He looks like an older version of a tennis player and probably not as smart. Somebody tell him what a hair brush is for.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 09:41 AM »
But really. is it going to happen?  The vote initially was tainted by the claims that people voted for Brexit just for the "shock value" and never expected it to win.  It did and everybody shat themselves.  The Prime Minister resigned.  The new one has had no joy.  The Irish border isn't going away.  A new vote will be seen as a deliberate abuse.  You guys cant win from here no matter where the chips fall.  It's ugly.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 10:10 AM »
I voted remain.  Whilst the EU is by no means perfect, it is a bloc of which I am proud to be a part, and it annoys me that we as a nation refuse to participate in it more fully, retaining our own currency and remaining outside of the Schengen zone, thereby making European travel both more expensive and more difficult than it might otherwise be.  Those whom I know who voted to leave fell into two camps :  the first were those resented the number of Euro-migrants who sought to come to this country, and the second were those who believed that British business would do better if it were not subject to the mandates of Brussels.  With the first group, I simply have no sympathy whatsoever
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 06:14 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 06:29 PM »
So project fear has now raised its ugly head on this forum. Can there be any less significant or important aspect of daily life than the future of Indian restaurants? Moreover we haven't yet left yet and can't be sure we ever will so it's far too early to assess what will actually happen. Indian restaurants only have themselves to blame for declining standards and a likely (near-racial) reluctance to take on non-Indian chefs..Also, with the recipes on this forum,it's not exactly essential to use the restaurants any more, is it?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 07:47 PM »
Fewer Indian restaurants and takeaways post Brexit means they can pick and choose from the best of the current chefs and waitstaff. So you have fewer but better quality establishments. What's not to like?

And the usual breast beating from the BCA is hardly surprising. Their raison d'

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 10:29 PM »
Crikey, Santa

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 12:19 AM »
What's with this "waitstaff" nonsense ?

A perfectly acceptable collective noun, surely? Unless you can offer another one ... I'm open to suggestions.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 12:37 AM »
A perfectly acceptable collective noun, surely?
"Acceptable" in North America (the spiritual home of political correctness) only recently, but barely known over here.  The OED says :
Draft additions March 2006

waitstaff  n. chiefly N. Amer. the staff employed as waiters and waitresses in a restaurant (with singular or plural concord).
1981   Washington Post 11 Jan. k52 (advt.)    We are looking for good people to train for the following positions: Cooks Prep Dishwashers..Waitstaff [etc.].
1994   Minnesota Monthly May 61/2   Desserts and pasta don't always click, but the sharp wait staff seldom misses.
2002   E. J. Ridley in R. R. Sims Changing the Way we manage Change vii.135   Waitstaff were given communications training.

Unless you can offer another one ... I'm open to suggestions.
"Waiters and waitresses" (as they have been called for centuries).

** Phil.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 01:00 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

CarpCarp

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 12:41 AM »
Waitstaff/Waiting staff  employment description taking orders and delivery of food. In today
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 12:55 AM by CarpCarp »

©2024 Curry Recipes