Author Topic: Post Brexit TA closures.  (Read 2704 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Post Brexit TA closures.
« on: December 29, 2018, 11:44 AM »
Imo not the best subject for the forum, it

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Brexit TA closures.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 11:53 AM »
pill's are handed out like sweets. we could save money their,

Very true, Les, but in my case (for example) I am totally dependent on Esomeprazole 40 mg b.d. to prevent a pre-cancerous condition (Barrett's

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 12:27 PM »
I know what you mean Phil, I'm on 7 different pills a day and a nitro spray, But if they had to stop, then so be it, I for one don't mind dyeing, Take life as it comes, Since I give up work in 2006 life has just gone downhill, never had so many things go wrong with me in all my life,
anyway enough of this morbid crap. have a good day Phil, and happy cooking.... ;D

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 12:58 PM »
I know what you mean Phil, I'm on 7 different pills a day and a nitro spray, But if they had to stop, then so be it, I for one don't mind dyeing, Take life as it comes, Since I give up work in 2006 life has just gone downhill, never had so many things go wrong with me in all my life,

Very sorry to hear that, Les.  I took early retirement at the age of 61 (almost eleven years ago) and the first nine of those were wonderful, although I was busier than ever.  The last two have not been good, for deeply personal reasons, but I am still here, still enjoying my cooking (especially my curries, now that I can rely on them being at least edible and sometimes even good !), and my little cat Squeaker brings me a greal deal of pleasure (along with the slighly less welcome "gifts" which are her "thank you" to me ...).

anyway enough of this morbid crap. have a good day Phil, and happy cooking.... ;D

May I say from the bottom of my heart, Les, that I hope that 2019 is your best year yet, and may each year thereafter bring you fresh blessings.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 03:11 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 03:13 PM »

May I say from the bottom of my heart, Les, that I hope that 2019 is your best year yet, and may each year thereafter bring you fresh blessings.

** Phil.

Thank You Phil, and I wish you the same my friend.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 03:22 PM »
Someone might prefer to return to the unanswered perfectly reasonable questions thus far ignored in other threads. ::)

Back to this one though, a big question or two come to my mind based on the difficulty you are having over there in getting Brexit to actually happen. Firstly, what chance do you think there is of taking it back to the people?
Secondly, as a consequence should this occur, is the question of the undermining of due political process. I'm no constitutional lawyer but isn't the result of a referendum a binding constitutional obligation? If it is redone in the hope of an out because it's too hard to do, then referendums from now on are nothing more than surveys.  The precedent would be set. Is it even legally allowed to go back for second vote?

We recently held a postal vote "referendum" here on the issue of same sex marriage. Not even a proper ballot day voting event at polling places, and not compulsory, as is all other polling down here, but the result was accepted as being the will of the people and consequently our constitution was changed to reflect it.  What would that mean for the independent Scotland? What would it do to any future referendum outcomes.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 04:18 PM »
Someone might prefer to return to the unanswered perfectly reasonable questions thus far ignored in other threads.

Well, if you could cite (or better still, link to) some or all of those "perfectly reasonable questions thus far ignored in other threads" someone might indeed do so ...

::)
Nothing pisses me off quite as much as use of emoticons (other than the smiley) in general, and use of the "roll eyes" emoticon in particular.  See https://www.dictionary.com/e/emoji/face-with-rolling-eyes-emoji/ if you are unclear why.

Back to this one though, a big question or two come to my mind based on the difficulty you are having over there in getting Brexit to actually happen. Firstly, what chance do you think there is of taking it back to the people?

"Think" ?  I don't know.  "Hope" :  Please, oh please, oh please.

Secondly, as a consequence should this occur, is the question of the undermining of due political process. I'm no constitutional lawyer but isn't the result of a referendum a binding constitutional obligation? If it is redone in the hope of an out because it's too hard to do, then referendums from now on are nothing more than surveys.  The precedent would be set. Is it even legally allowed to go back for second vote?

But a referendum is exacty that :  a survey of public opinion.  It is most certainly not "a [legally] binding constitutional obligation".  The latter is a vote; a referendum is not binding and simply intended to allow hoi polloi an opportunity to express their opinion.

We recently held a postal vote "referendum" here on the issue of same sex marriage. Not even a proper ballot day voting event at polling places, and not compulsory, as is all other polling down here, but the result was accepted as being the will of the people and consequently our constitution was changed to reflect it.  What would that mean for the independent Scotland? What would it do to any future referendum outcomes.

For an independent Scotland, I have no idea, but hopefully Stephen Lindsay will be better informed than I.  For future referenda outcomes, hopefully a clarification that they are informative, not normative, and that a decision to overturn the status quo should require a majority way in excess of 52:48, at least 60:40 and ideally 70:30.

** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 05:00 PM »
Not you Phil. You devotedly provide follow up in good time  ;D  My apology for being a little cryptic.  The unanswered questions I refer to are in relation to the apparent use of an industrial / commercial cooktop for a home cooked curry with a 10/10 score card and the erroneous assumption I was looking for recipes from the turn of the 20th century when the books being discussed are actually far more recent. Like 100 years or more. Both just questions of clarification. No big deal and I won't be losing sleep should CarpCarp choose not to answer. He is under no obligation. I just thought he might prefer to do so rather than read and comment on a thread he didn't want to read on this forum.  ;)

Your signature gives a fairly good insight into your feelings relation to the use of emotions.  :-X

I guess referendums are pretty much a big waste of time and money then, and even more so in the UK than here.  I see that you are correct in stating they are essentially just a survey in the UK.  Out here they do have some political purpose at least in as much as constitutional change cannot proceed without a referendum Yes vote.

CarpCarp

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 07:09 PM »
Livo work environments are sometimes preferabley not openly discussed on a forum, I also like you found your lack of ability to understand what is being presented frustrating. You are correct in your reference above no obligation to respond to questions on a forum post. Clearly my lack of response has effected you. My suggestion
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 10:00 PM by CarpCarp »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 10:08 PM »
I have never made use of the "ignore user function" and don't think I'll take your advise in that regard.  Everybody is entitled to an opinion, the right to express it and to have it seen. A blinkered view of the world is a bit naive, imo. This is a public forum and benefits from diversity. Turning off parts will only lessen it's value. 

CarpCarp, you are allowed to cook a curry wherever you see fit. Work, home or on a camp fire. If you work in a kitchen, that's fine.  If you don't wish to discuss it, the same.  I was just asking if that particular photographed curry was made in a commercial kitchen or if you are lucky enough to have an industrial cooker at home. Nothing more, nothing less. I have seen commercial standard kitchens in private homes. Not mine unfortunately.

As for the other question, I was just interested to know if you have some extensive knowledge or expertise in historical East Indian Cookery. Your offer to me gave that impression that turn of the 20th century Indian cooking was something you are well versed in.  i thanked you for the offer but pointed out it wasn't what I was looking for. Forums work by asking questions and following up on posts made by other users. Interactions, not autonomous statements.

I'm not worried about it. The sun came up without your answers.

©2024 Curry Recipes