Author Topic: New bir channel  (Read 26119 times)

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
New bir channel
« on: January 10, 2019, 09:36 PM »
Folks just came across this bir restaurant channel, looks interesting and informative, check it out.https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKlET6nkHSKNWef97D_UBkQ
Regards pap rika
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 10:09 PM by pap rika »

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: New bir channel
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 10:13 PM »
Thanks Pap, will have a swatch.

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 10:26 PM »
looks really promising, the base gravy is  interesting and he follows that recipe with a madras. He uses single cream in  the base. He likes his bay leaves. I mean it's got to work, but when I use bay leaves the flavour is really strong

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 11:08 PM »
Do you use Indian or European bay, Pete ?
** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 11:36 PM »
Thanks for posting this link Pap rika

This is really interesting. I've just watched the base gravy video (for the first time) and from this and the comments there is already some really good points to consider and discuss.  I'll be watching his other offerings at some time in the near future.  Now I don't know whether to do his base gravy or the KD for my next batch.  Maybe I just have to make 2 small batches or eat a lot of curry.  ;D

Notice the can of East End Pure Butter Ghee and also in the comments when asked which Curry Powder the answer is East End. Best quality.  (unavailable to me)  :(

Cream in the Base Gravy and he says he can use it for a Korma, a Madras and a Vindaloo for example.

The oil content of 1 full cup and cooking to separation point.  No removal.

He cooks 4 litres, adds extra water to a very thin base and says it could make 6 - 10 then corrects to 6 - 8 curries.  Even at 10 he's looking at near 500 ml per curry. This again draws me to the conclusion that BIR is much wetter than AIR.

Take note of this one Phil. He specifically points out the requirement to allow it to cool before putting it into a stand blender.  ;D

The point that really says something to me is his comments about why base gravy is used for expediency only and that it is much preferred to cook "traditionally".

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 12:11 AM »
Take note of this one Phil. He specifically points out the requirement to allow it to cool before putting it into a stand blender.  ;D
"Once scalded, twice shy" :)
** Phil.

P.S.  Interesting page here, if you have not already found it.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 06:45 AM »
That's a good read Phil. I'll look more closely later.  So much on the internet and so little time.

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 08:29 AM »
Thanks for posting this up paprika. Very interesting, although I'm not sure it entirely passes my BS filter.  Does he really have loose Garam masala floating around in his huge pots of base gravy, which he needs to treasure hunt out at the end before blending? Must take a while in a large batch!  He didn't even seem sure which he was taking out or leaving in prior to blending, and if it's a recipe he cooks on a daily basis then for sure he wouldn't hesitate.

A very strong flavoured base gravy if you ask me - maybe it is similar to what they're using on the paying punters but I can help wondering whether the temptation to make adjustments to make it "look better" to the YouTube viewers might have arisen as a result of the basic purpose of the upload being a restaurant promo.

I enjoyed the sight of curry on chips with cheese! Hope it makes it onto their menu.

I was pleased to see he emphasises the importance of a thin soup consistency in the finished base. Seems to me this is fundamental to getting a properly cooked finished dish with the right consistency end result.

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 09:59 AM »
Seemed OK, but adding Garam Masala twice! (whole and powdered), But like Sverige said, It's done for the viewers.
Did not like the thought of those boxes of Prawns with no lids on being stuck on the floor under the burners. (15:11)  in my opinion should have been in the fridge until required, No prawn curry from there then. ;D 

« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 10:39 AM by Les »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 11:52 AM »
Biting on a whole cardamom pod or clove that slipped through was always part of the Indian experience for me. I'd imagine that as long as most of the whole spices are out, there wouldn't be much chance of that occuring after using that stick blender.   He does say several times that it is a flavoursome gravy. Black cardamom and bay leaf are pretty easy to dig out. Cloves being black aren't difficult to find and puffed up green cardamom tend to rise to the surface.  The rest, pepper and coriander seed, are probably ok pulped into oblivion.

I'll be giving his base and some other examples of his work a try before I make any judgement.  I didn't notice the prawns Les but my viewing was not scrutinising.

©2024 Curry Recipes