Author Topic: New bir channel  (Read 26243 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: New bir channel
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2019, 10:50 PM »
I noticed while reviewing the video again that (@5.50) he admits that he would normally add chopped tomatoes, by which I'm sure he will mean tinned chopped tomatoes, but it's not clear whether that would be in addition to the puree and fresh or in their place. But it reinforces my point that he's not doing it exactly as he would do it if the camera weren't on him.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2019, 10:59 PM »
I use Indian bay Leaves. All the Asian shops round here sell only them, so I figured that's what most takeaways/restaurants use too. The pack I currently use is about three years old. I've nearly finished it. The bay leaves flavour has remained very strong, despite it's age

I used to be able to source Asian bay leaves locally in small TRS style packets, they may even have been TRS, and they were very fragrant. Then I couldn't get any locally and I sourced some off eBay or Amazon, I forget which, and they were totally flavourless and were sent back. I really miss the quality ones as I consider them essential for a good garam masala.

So Pete, do you recall what brand these three-year-old leaves were that still retain their vitality as I'd like to get some?

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2019, 01:15 PM »
The introduction to this channel has generated quite a lot of interest, regarding ingredients, quantities, technique, etc. The channel in question is getting quite prolific in its postings and it would appear the person seems quite open to answering any questions.
  Which brings me to the point, has anyone made contact through his YouTube channel in relation to clarification of any of the questions posted within the forum ?

Regards Pap rika

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2019, 01:36 PM »
I confess I have not.  I treat YouTube as a read-only resource.
** Phil.

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2019, 03:16 PM »
Thanks Phil.
                      Sadly, I'm of the same mindset, occasionally I will seek clarification or acknowledge the effort / time the individual has taken to produce their work. However it just seemed logical members with unanswered questions/queries would be best directing them to the channels comments section For clarification.

Regards pap rika

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2019, 06:02 PM »
That would appear to be a fair and reasonable approach rather than tearing the guy apart here. I think enough information was provided in the base gravy video for anybody to make an attempt anyway. It may not be 100% but you'd still make curry with it.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2019, 10:19 PM »
I'm a bit disappointed that, after publishing his base gravy video, he hasn't made any videos of him actually creating dishes using it.  I'm sure that people who frequent his restaurant would rather see how he actually does it rather than some 'homestyle' version.

For many on here, more can be learned by watching what's going on elsewhere in the kitchen.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2019, 10:49 PM »
The base gravy video goes straight into a chicken curry cook and he did use the gravy he'd shown in the making.  I'd have thought the gravy in the video would be fairly close to a scaled down quantity of the gravy in the big pot Garp.  I haven't yet had time to look at his other dish videos. Am I reading here that these dishes don't use the base gravy he shows?

I too was interested in the background activity in the kitchen.  ;D

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2019, 12:44 AM »
I agree, but you have to give the guy a chance, as its a real restaurant kitchen
with the usual hectic weekend trade. The guy with the cameraphone may be missing, who knows.

Like most Bangladeshi Kitchens, most of the guys in the background will be chefs in their own right.
The older guy with the glasses is probably a master of the pans.

A little action clip here, off social media.
https://video-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.9040-2/45187269_263784990855952_6607266517232910336_n.mp4?_nc_cat=111&efg=eyJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6InN2ZV9zZCJ9&_nc_ht=video-lhr3-1.xx&oh=a6d9d5774b6c9a14d3b08e34830e1bd1&oe=5C3BFAA3

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2019, 01:59 AM »
Well said chewy, we seem to have spent more time beating this guy up over his technical approach rather than embracing his culinary skills,

Regards pap rika

©2024 Curry Recipes