Author Topic: New bir channel  (Read 26248 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: New bir channel
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2019, 05:55 AM »
Well in this case, he may well have shown what he actually serves to the customers.  If his listed combination of powders is actually his mixed powder then he has shown that part of it and that in itself is revealing.  If he usually uses his own balti paste, he did so again, so he could well have prepared the dish exactly as he serves it to the customers.  The problem would then be that he did prepare the dish as he serves it to the customers but he didn't reveal all of the exact details to the video viewers.

I'm not particularly bothered by this as I think that using his base gravy (or other) and following this recipe, you'd still end up with the dish as close as you reasonably could hope to achieve.  I make my own Balti Paste anyway so I'd be using that.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 09:03 AM by livo »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: New bir channel
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2019, 08:28 PM »
Just browsing around the forum and found this. It looks very familiar after watching Latif's Tikka Balti yesterday.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4520.0

Substitute the individual powders for mixed (as Latif usually does) and there is really little difference at all.  I guess it should be the same as it's the same dish and it would suggest authenticity.

The differences / similarities. Nothing major hence these dishes would be quite similar and easily adjusted.
1) Latif's mix of powders is quite similar to Dip's Mixed Powder. The main difference is the omission of Paprika and slight ratio variation. Similar quantity is used.
2) Dip omits (or Latif adds) tomato wedges and red capsicum. (Personal choice.)
3) Latif uses less ginger and more garlic paste. (Again personal choice.)
4) Dip does not add salt. (and again.)
5) Latif uses Kashmiri chilli powder and fresh geen chilli but explains optional. (and again)

If this is actually Latif's mixed powder it is as follows;  (Dipuraja in brackets)
4 parts Curry powder (2)
2 parts Turmeric (3)
2 parts Coriander powder (2)
1 part Cumin Powder (2)
1 part Garam Masala (1)
0 part Paprika (2)

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 10:44 PM by livo »

©2024 Curry Recipes