Author Topic: Latif's Indian Restaurant Base  (Read 20169 times)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Latif's Indian Restaurant Base
« on: January 11, 2019, 05:36 PM »
Latif

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Latif's Indian Restaurant Base
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 05:49 PM »
Very helpful transcript, Stephen.  I am not a great fan of learning via video (quite resistant to it, in fact) so having a transcript is a great help, to me at least.

** Phil.

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 06:21 PM »
Thank you very much Stephen,

You have saved me an hour tomorrow and a lot of 'man hours' for other people all trying to work out the quantities.  Good points about the balti dish/cup measurements.

Thanks again.
BAJ

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 06:33 PM »
Good post Stephen. Something else I noticed was when he added the salt at 4.04 he said he adds the same amount of salt as his mix powder, I assume it must be the curry powder he mentioned when he added the ground spices.

All the best

Rob

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 09:24 PM »
Excellent transcription Stephen Lindsay and your adjustments and notes look consistent with my viewing as well.  As BAJ points out, you've saved us a big job and it's well done.

In addition to the points of interest I listed on the original thread is another viewer comment regarding the amount of carrot. From memory, the most I've used (if any) in following other base recipes is 1. It seems a lot to use 5 fair sized carrots with 6 onions but I'll try it as presented and reserve judgement till I've used it.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 12:12 AM »
Very helpful transcript, Stephen.  I am not a great fan of learning via video (quite resistant to it, in fact) so having a transcript is a great help, to me at least.

** Phil.

Thanks Phil, I treated the transcript as if it were one of my own recipes, so hopefully it should work without the video.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 12:14 AM »
Good post Stephen. Something else I noticed was when he added the salt at 4.04 he said he adds the same amount of salt as his mix powder, I assume it must be the curry powder he mentioned when he added the ground spices.

All the best

Rob

Rob, yes I wondered about that because if he added the same amount of salt as all the other ground spices there might be a risk it would be too salty.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 12:15 AM »
Excellent transcription Stephen Lindsay and your adjustments and notes look consistent with my viewing as well.  As BAJ points out, you've saved us a big job and it's well done.

In addition to the points of interest I listed on the original thread is another viewer comment regarding the amount of carrot. From memory, the most I've used (if any) in following other base recipes is 1. It seems a lot to use 5 fair sized carrots with 6 onions but I'll try it as presented and reserve judgement till I've used it.

Livo, yes I think the amount of carrot is a good observation, it seems a lot.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 01:30 AM »
Hi SL
Have to disagree
The notes you make are your guess, which are quite wrong to me.
1. You guess at 2 cups, how big are your cups e.g. 250ml x 2
Those small serving dishes, are tiny, so my guess would hold only 1 cup, 250ml max
He said 1 cup so peeps should follow his recipe. not your changes.

Similar with the onions, they look like a 300g average, so I would say nearer a 2kg base.
The cream he uses is tasteless UHT single cream, not fresh.

Anyhoo will make a good Garabi and is similar to any of my published base gravies.
(No Coconut, thank goodness) but the carrot will be a sweetener, its a busy place so
he will have tuned this base to suit his customers.

cheers Chewy

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 02:08 PM »
Not easy to determine some ingredient quantities from videos, but well done SL on having done this leg work for the benefit of members.  It's bad enough when chef spoon measures are used but introducing the little balti dish into the mix makes it even more of a challenge.  Whilst I can work with chef spoon measures (standard size holding about 2 1/2 tablespoons although this does vary) I have never used  a "cup" measure let alone a  balti dish measure.  However, the balti dish he uses is  a standard size used normally for side dishes, being smaller than that used for mains.  Fortunately I have both and they are nigh on identical to those he uses.  So I can probably clear up the uncertainty over the "cup" measures in the video.  When filling the smaller balti dish to approx the same level as in the video and then measuring the liquid.it equates to virtually 400ml.  I would have to agree with CT on the onion content being higher than 1kg.   A standard "tennis ball" sized onion weighs in the region of about 160 -175 gms and those in the video are a lot bigger. I think the onion weight is certainly nearer to 2 kg than 1.  Looking at his teaspoon measures of ginger and garlic I would say they were heaped and looking at bowl containing them, there looks to be a good if not more than a table spoon of each.  With all this in mind,  it brings the ingredient quantities pretty much in line with those for many of the 2kg bases already on the forum  :)  Hope this brings a bit more clarity for anybody that will be trying this base.  I also suspect UHT cream rather than fresh, as that is what we see in use in his other videos.

©2024 Curry Recipes