Author Topic: Latif inspired base and chicken madras  (Read 9022 times)

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 10:39 PM by Secret Santa »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Latif inspired base and chicken madras
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 10:33 PM »
My small Balti bowl is 300 ml to the brim. 1 cup (250 ml) is as he shows in the video but mine is stainless steel and not identical. It looks to be the same size though unless he has monster hands.

I can only refer you to CH's post in this thread http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=15069.0

"...However, the balti dish he uses is  a standard size used normally for side dishes, being smaller than that used for mains.  Fortunately I have both and they are nigh on identical to those he uses.  So I can probably clear up the uncertainty over the "cup" measures in the video.  When filling the smaller balti dish to approx the same level as in the video and then measuring the liquid.it equates to virtually 400ml..."

By the way, before anyone is tempted to get too pedantic, I'm not saying it is exactly two cups he's using (the cup being a ridiculous metric in any case), I'm saying it's much closer to two cups than it is to one.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 10:38 PM »
A few hundred years ago, you would have been arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.  Not much changes.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 10:42 PM »
A few hundred years ago, you would have been arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.  Not much changes.

Considering the degree of pedantry peddled by your good self on this forum Phil, there's more than a hint of the pot calling the kettle black there.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 10:49 PM »
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone ...". (The "you" was plural, not singular ...).

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 11:03 PM »
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone ...". (The "you" was plural, not singular ...).
Why does it have to be a he Phil, or maybe woman don't sin  lol ;)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 11:16 PM »
Can't argue with the King James version, old man.  No PC nonsense in those days !

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 11:22 PM »
There used to be a section on the forum that I can no longer find. Definitions / Acronyms. One of the acronyms I've referred to previously is FOAM and it was described as Fixated On Accurate Measurement.  I feel that this discussion may have drifted into this arena and I'm sometimes in the drivers chair, so no pots or kettles here.  Perhaps rather than nit-pick about precisely how many ml of oil, tomato puree or cream is in the pretty Balti Bowl shown in the video, (a non-SI measuring vessel, as is a Chef's spoon) we should be doing as has MA and actually making it to see how it goes and then adjusting these indeterminate quantities to suite our own individual preference and / or other odd containers in the back of the cupboard.

In my early days the analytical scientist in me was driven spare by odd measurement.  Last night I cooked a Chicken Madras from scratch without a single measured ingredient.  Perfectly fine.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 11:27 PM »
I can only refer you to CH's post in this thread http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=15069.0

By the way, before anyone is tempted to get too pedantic, I'm not saying it is exactly two cups he's using (the cup being a ridiculous metric in any case), I'm saying it's much closer to two cups than it is to one.

See Chewytikka's post on the same thread.
"Those small serving dishes, are tiny, so my guess would hold only 1 cup, 250ml max
He said 1 cup so peeps should follow his recipe. not your changes."

©2024 Curry Recipes