• April 22, 2019, 07:56 AM
Welcome, guest! Please login or register.
collapse

* RGBD

Author Topic: No base chicken madras  (Read 426 times)

Online Madrasandy

• Ive Had Way too Much Curry
    • View Profile
No base chicken madras
« on: January 14, 2019, 07:21 PM »
Traditional style madras with no base gravy, definitely more flavoursome with more individual tastes and really packed a good chilli hit, but I think I still prefer a base gravy madras for a more rounded overall taste. That said I'll be making this one again for sure.
You cant beat the heat

Online Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
  • "Attention-seeking disorder"—disease of childhood
    • View Profile
    • The Westberry Hotel / Hoi-An Restaurant
Re: No base chicken madras
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 08:14 PM »
Traditional style madras with no base gravy, definitely more flavoursome with more individual tastes and really packed a good chilli hit, but I think I still prefer a base gravy madras for a more rounded overall taste.
My personal feeling is that because a Madras curry is a pure BIR invention (there is no such thing in traditional Indian cuisine), the best way to replicate one is to follow BIR practice, which involves using a base.  A bhuna, on the other hand, being a traditional dish, is far better made without a base, IMHO.

** Phil.
Ogham's law :  The intellectual content of any message is inversely proportional to the number of emoticons that it contains..

Online livo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 08:36 PM »
Back in 2014 I did a 2 way test on a Balti Chicken Madras from a traditional style book recipe and my conversion of this to BIR gravy method. The same but different. Both tasty at the time.
Whiskey is the answer, but what was the question?

Online Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 06:56 AM »

My personal feeling is that because a Madras curry is a pure BIR invention (there is no such thing in traditional Indian cuisine), the best way to replicate one is to follow BIR practice, which involves using a base.  A bhuna, on the other hand, being a traditional dish, is far better made without a base, IMHO.

** Phil.

If you read the post correctly it says ‘traditional style’ Madras, as in a curry with Madras spicing cooked in a traditional style, we all know Madras is a region in India noted for its hot food but not the actual name of a curry from there
You cant beat the heat

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
  • Who Cares Who Wins...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 07:17 AM »
Looks very nice, Andy, and I fully agree with your comment about the flavour profile and identifying the individual flavours of the spicing and other ingredients. I, for one, would be more than happy to dip a naan or roti in it!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 08:45 AM »
I don't think that I understand what a "traditional style Madras" is, Andy,  A traditional-style curry (if such a thing exists — some authorities maintain that the whole concept of "curry" is an Anglo-Indian invention) is relatively easy :  a spicy dish cooked using traditional ingredients  and techniques from the sub-continent.  And there is reasonable acceptance as to what is meant by "a Madras" — a simple chicken or meat curry, medium-to-hot, as cooked and served in BIRs throughout the land.  But can there really be "a traditional style Madras" ?  I am not convinced that there can.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 04:41 PM by Peripatetic Phil »
Ogham's law :  The intellectual content of any message is inversely proportional to the number of emoticons that it contains..

Online livo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 08:45 AM »
You quoted his post Phil.

Any.way  I've just done a triple qty of the traditional style Balti Chicken Madras mentioned above. Delicious and no base gravy anywhere to be seen.  BIR is just a method.  A short cut to the end result demanded by high turnover in a commercial setting. Curry is able to be created in more ways than one.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 09:33 AM »
You quoted his post Phil.
How odd — I must be going glaikit. Response amended.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 09:44 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Online livo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 10:59 AM »
Perhaps not Phil. I recall this morning when I made my post I had the message that another post had been made and asking me to review my post. I usually ignore it but this morning it went a bit odd and I needed to refresh my Page. Perhaps you did try to quote me but the system has malfunctioned somehow.

Offline Secret Santa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 02:20 PM »
we all know Madras is a region in India...

Was a region in India. Doesn't sound the same going to the takeaway and asking for a chicken Chennai though does it.
Fighting for truth, justice and the BIR way!

You may like these posts on curry-recipes.co.uk: