Author Topic: No base chicken madras  (Read 3746 times)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
No base chicken madras
« on: January 14, 2019, 07:21 PM »
Traditional style madras with no base gravy, definitely more flavoursome with more individual tastes and really packed a good chilli hit, but I think I still prefer a base gravy madras for a more rounded overall taste. That said I'll be making this one again for sure.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: No base chicken madras
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 08:14 PM »
Traditional style madras with no base gravy, definitely more flavoursome with more individual tastes and really packed a good chilli hit, but I think I still prefer a base gravy madras for a more rounded overall taste.
My personal feeling is that because a Madras curry is a pure BIR invention (there is no such thing in traditional Indian cuisine), the best way to replicate one is to follow BIR practice, which involves using a base.  A bhuna, on the other hand, being a traditional dish, is far better made without a base, IMHO.

** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 08:36 PM »
Back in 2014 I did a 2 way test on a Balti Chicken Madras from a traditional style book recipe and my conversion of this to BIR gravy method. The same but different. Both tasty at the time.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 06:56 AM »

My personal feeling is that because a Madras curry is a pure BIR invention (there is no such thing in traditional Indian cuisine), the best way to replicate one is to follow BIR practice, which involves using a base.  A bhuna, on the other hand, being a traditional dish, is far better made without a base, IMHO.

** Phil.

If you read the post correctly it says

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 07:17 AM »
Looks very nice, Andy, and I fully agree with your comment about the flavour profile and identifying the individual flavours of the spicing and other ingredients. I, for one, would be more than happy to dip a naan or roti in it!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 08:45 AM »
I don't think that I understand what a "traditional style Madras" is, Andy,  A traditional-style curry (if such a thing exists
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 04:41 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 08:45 AM »
You quoted his post Phil.

Any.way  I've just done a triple qty of the traditional style Balti Chicken Madras mentioned above. Delicious and no base gravy anywhere to be seen.  BIR is just a method.  A short cut to the end result demanded by high turnover in a commercial setting. Curry is able to be created in more ways than one.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 09:33 AM »
You quoted his post Phil.
How odd
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 09:44 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 10:59 AM »
Perhaps not Phil. I recall this morning when I made my post I had the message that another post had been made and asking me to review my post. I usually ignore it but this morning it went a bit odd and I needed to refresh my Page. Perhaps you did try to quote me but the system has malfunctioned somehow.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 02:20 PM »
we all know Madras is a region in India...

Was a region in India. Doesn't sound the same going to the takeaway and asking for a chicken Chennai though does it.

©2024 Curry Recipes