Author Topic: (Almost) instant chicken <whatever>  (Read 4877 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
(Almost) instant chicken <whatever>
« on: January 15, 2019, 09:11 PM »
I used up the last of my KD-base/PT (made 13th December, and not been refrigerated since) yesterday, and after eating up the last of the inadvertently pre-cooked chicken I still had a reasonable quantity of sauce left, so I bought another couple of free-range breasts and made myself a very quick curry this evening.  I knocked up a fresh batch of g/g paste (this I do refrigerate), put a few glugs of Borderfields garlic-infused and chilli-infused rapeseed oils in my copper-bottomed stainless-steel 24cm frying pan, added a couple of teaspoons of the freshly-made g/g paste and a well-rounded teaspoon of Bassar curry masala.  Once the chillies in the masala were starting to smell cooked, I added one breast (cut lengthways and then into four on the diagonal),  sprinkled on a flat teaspoon of kala namak, then kept the breast pieces in motion until they were just firm, cooking at a medium temperature.  I then added some of the leftover sauce, which very quickly reduced, added some more, waited for it to reduce, then added the remainder, gave one final stir, put the lid on and left it while I fried a paratha.  The end results were superb
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 10:28 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: (Almost) instant chicken <whatever>
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 10:56 PM »
Strangely I did almost the same (recipe wise) last night. Poached chicken thighs in base sauce for about an hour until the meat was just about falling off the bone. Then a good glug of oil, GG, methi and about 2TBS of bassar masala because there are virtually no spices in my current base sauce. Then the chicken went in along with the base sauce. As you say it had a real depth of flavour. And this was with a bassar that had no mustard oil in it, so it doesn't really qualify. The only thing I did notice was how salty it seemed to me but I don't have the packet to check if salt is a significant ingredient.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 11:07 PM »
I am a salt addict so I wouldn't have noticed the saltiness.  Mine does have mustard oil, but I'd need to try some without before I could say whether I could detect the difference. 

By the way, the Borderfield's infused rapeseed oil was an absolute bargain
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 10:58 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline bolinao

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 01:12 AM »
Is it difficult to make your own garlic/ginger paste ?, I am using a bought one at the moment because I imagine making your own would be hard.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 01:41 AM »
Easy as pie.  Take (in my case) 100 gm peeled ginger. 70 gm frozen garlic.  Cut the ginger into pieces approximating the size of the cloves of garlic.  Place in a blender (I use a Lidl 260 watt Silvercrest top-motor mini-chopper, currently in-store at
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 07:24 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 01:53 AM »
You can buy huge jars of it (or smaller ones) cheaper than making it, especially at Indian grocers.  Fresh is best but I'm not convinced about it for G & G paste.

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 11:16 AM »
I used to make it, 50/50 with some oil and water blended to a paste. Then freeze it in ice cube trays for storage.

But now I've got lazy as my Lidl  do jars of Garlic, Ginger, Garlic and Ginger pastes.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 11:25 AM »
But now I've got lazy as my Lidl  do jars of Garlic, Ginger, Garlic and Ginger pastes.

Do you happen to know whether any of these use vinegar (or acetic acid) as a preservative ?  The use of vinegar as a preservative is the main reason I avoid the use of commercial products.

** Phil.

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 12:24 PM »
Ginger 42%, Garlic 42%, Water, Salt, Corn Oil
Acidity Regulator Acetic acid
Thickener Xanthan gum
Preservatives Sodium Metabisulphite, Sodium Benzoate.

To be honest in the small amounts used I don't think it makes much difference to final taste.
But of course fresh made is always better

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 12:26 PM »
Interesting that they think that a thickener is necessary; I wonder why ...
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes